Restricting Anonymous access

Topics: Administration, Customizing Orchard, General
Nov 20, 2015 at 6:56 PM
Edited Nov 21, 2015 at 1:35 PM
I've found that if I disable/uncheck "Contents Feature-View all content" for anonymous, to be able to make certain pages viewable only by users in certain roles, Orchard stops rendering the menu/navigation for anonymous users.
This almost seems like a bug, but I'll reserve calling it that for now, but steps to re-create are simple:
1)install Orchard
2)create role "group1"
3)create Page content type "Page Group1"
4)Create and place menus in both Anonymous and Default layers.
5)Update Anonymous, Authenticated, and Group1 roles so that only members of Group1 can view "Page Group1" content type. As far as I can see, there is no "Deny", so the only way to take away Anonymous ability to view "Page Group1" content type is to uncheck/disable "Contents Feature-View all content" for Anonymous, but do give Anonymous view permissions explicitly on the default Page content type so that Anonymous can view the website's home page. When "Contents Feature-View all content" is checked for Anonymous, they get view via "Effective" on the new "Page Group1" content type that we are wanting to make not visible to anonymous.
6)When anonymous viewer visits the websites home page, they see no menu/navigation.

It seems as though there is something that is hard coded to view/hide the navigation(irregardless of layer rules) that hinges on the "Contents Feature-View all content" permission. I don't see anywhere(setting or content type) that Anonymous could be given explicit permission to view(as I can do for the default Page content type).

The goal was to be able to just use the "Page Group1" content type whenever I want to create a page that only Group1 can see, without having to micro-manage each page individually. seems to work exactly that way, with the exception of not rendering a menu for anonymous users, even though they can see all other content on any page using the default Page content type that I explicitly gave them view to.
Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, or help of any kind would be greatly appreciated.
(fresh install of Orchard