Dynamic Forms not fully installing

Topics: Troubleshooting
Oct 23, 2015 at 11:34 AM
I have a system (Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit, latest patches, SQL Server Express 2012 [this problem also appeared when creating a site using SQL CE]) where I'm running multiple Orchard sites, and I've been trying to enable the Dynamic Forms module. However, no matter what I try, even though Orchard indicates that Dynamic Forms (and C# Scripting) have been enabled, the Form content type isn't created,there are no form elements for the layouts, and the workflow activities don't appear. In the modules screen, it shows that Dynamic Forms is enabled.

The site that I originally tried it on was originally a 1.9.1 site that I in-place upgraded to 1.9.2. It's a multi-tenant site with three other tenants. Dynamic Forms won't install in any of the tenants.

I created a new site by downloading the latest 1.9.2 zip file from the Orchard site and installed a fresh copy. The first thing I did after setting it up was enabled Dynamic Forms, but it has the same problem.

I've checked the Orchard error logs which don't show anything as well as Windows logs which also were unhelpful. Unfortunately, I've been unable to recreate the problem on another system -- every time I try installing Dynamic Forms on my dev system, it works perfectly.

Any suggestions on what I can do to try and figure out what's going on?
Oct 23, 2015 at 12:22 PM
I also had this issue multiple times, enabling the Dynamic Forms module didn't do anything. I still don't know what was/is the issue.
Oct 23, 2015 at 12:38 PM
After I posted this, I found another thread about this same problem that you had posted on. I'm trying the suggestion there of installing from source. I'm not really happy with that solution, but if it works, I guess that's what I'll have to do from now on. I just don't understand why it works on some systems but not others. I installed a web site in exactly the same manner from the zip file on my development system and it worked perfectly.
Oct 23, 2015 at 12:57 PM
It appears that installing from source works. The thing that interests me is that there are a lot of files that get published from Visual Studio that aren't in the zip file install. I may investigate more later.
Oct 23, 2015 at 2:49 PM
It looks like there's definitely something missing from the zip package. When I installed the files from a published web site from code, all of the components appeared on the sites that already had Dynamic Forms enabled. This includes the creation of the Form Content Type.
Dec 4, 2015 at 9:16 AM
Edited Dec 4, 2015 at 11:05 AM
I also have the same problem. Dynamic forms does not work on several platforms. I try to build from source, but this seems to be not easy...

I don't think that it is a problem with the zip file. Building from source did not work. I think it is a problem with the plattform the site is running on.
  • Windows Server and SQL Server 2014 --> fail
  • Windows Azure latest DB Version --> fail
  • Windows 7 and SQL Server Compact downloaded with WebMatrix --> success!!
  • Copy the files from the succeeding installation to azure and run setup again --> fail
These observations need to be verifyed. If i'm right, then there is no problem with the ZIP. Instead there is a problem with
  • the OS
  • or the DB version
  • or with DB remote Access
  • or a combination of those
Dec 17, 2015 at 5:19 AM
Edited Dec 17, 2015 at 5:23 AM
Installing Orchard from WebMatrix's App Gallery solved the issue on my end (windows 10, website published to azure).

Downloading and running either of the zipped projects from orchardproject.net is where Dynamic Forms failed to appear on the layout menu (even though it shows as being successfully enabled).
Sep 15 at 7:44 PM
I had a similar problem with Orchard 1.10.1. Everything worked fine on my local machine and a test server, but I did not have to ftp files around. I use a hosting company for my production website, so ftp'd my files to the application folder. I restarted the site, enabled Dynamic Forms & failed to see the expected result. The obvious symptom of failure was missing the 'Form Submissions' on the admin nav panel, missing the 'Form' link presented in the 'new' listing, and missing Content Definition for 'Form'.

The problem seemed to originate with the timestamps of files placed into the site. Orchard will dynamically compile when it's 'engine' determines that something might be changed. A dynamic compile order can be seen when you look at the app_data/dependancies/dependency.xml file and find <VirtualPath> references using a file of type csproj instead of the corresponding dll. (e.g. "Orchard.MediaLibrary.csproj" instead of "Orchard.MediaLibrary.dll"). This should not happen on a production site.

My Solution:
Get the timestamps right; ftp does not seem do this reliably. I used Filezilla w/ the 'Preserve timestamps' option & failed miserably because the 'MFMT' command is apparently not available. WebMatrix/ftp does not preserve the timestamps either, though the WebMatrix/Web Deploy option just might work.
The solution is to (1) zip the file contents, (2) ftp the zip file to the proper folder and then (3) use the FileManager/Unzip utility. This preserves the timestamps.

NOTE: Some web hosting companies do not provide a method to unzip on the server; consequently, my solution is not available.