Webforms within an Orchard CMS website

Topics: Customizing Orchard
Sep 28, 2015 at 1:44 AM
I'm new to Orchard and .net in general. I've inherited an older website that uses webforms to connect a local webserver to a local AS400. The webform page queries a database from the AS400. I would like to update the site using Orchard as the CMS, but I'm having trouble incorporating the webform.
Right now I'm feeling extremely newbish. A push or gentle nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.
Developer
Sep 28, 2015 at 11:21 AM
Orchard is built with ASP.NET MVC and although probably not impossible, mixing that with WebForms is not supported and definitely not recommended. Instead I'd build a custom module with a custom controller that queries your databases and returns a view with data to present.
Sep 29, 2015 at 9:20 PM
That definitely sounds like the proper way to go, but I am lacking when it comes to working beyond the basics of Orchard at the moment.
Would you have any advice for me on getting up to speed in regards to building custom modules in Orchard?
Developer
Sep 29, 2015 at 11:18 PM
Most certainly. You'll find it's not that hard. Use the command line tool to create a Module project file as explained here: http://docs.orchardproject.net/Documentation/Command-line-scaffolding, then add your controller and view to that module's project. It's like writing an MVC area (but cooler and more portable). Any questions, just let us know on the forums.