Documentation for HostComponents.config

Topics: Administration, Core, General, Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Sep 3, 2015 at 6:40 PM
Our Visual Studio solution has become too large and we had to split it in two -- one for our custom code and one for the Orchard code. We have been struggling for some time with the dynamic loader being selected at run time instead of the precompiled loader, and recently discovered that we just need to turn off the DynamicExtensionLoader.

I also noticed a number of other settings in the HostComponents.config that look intriguing. At first glance I feel like I want to disable ALL of the monitors, but I'm really not sure of the implications and I can't find documentation anywhere (other than the comments in the config like "Set Value='true to disable Placement files monitoring (").

Does disabling monitoring just mean that you can't drop out files of the corresponding type and have them picked up immediately? Is there some documentation for this? Any help would be great. Thanks so much!
Sep 3, 2015 at 9:40 PM
Try to "build Precompiled" and see what the defaults are. You can also take a look at the HostComponents.Release.Config which is applying the transformation.
The idea is that in production everything but Orchard.Environment.Extensions.Folders.ExtensionHarvester should be disabled.
Sep 4, 2015 at 1:28 AM
Ah, I should have looked at .Release. You are right, thanks!

What is the purpose of these monitors being enabled enabled in Debug (or at all)? Is it just so you can more conveniently develop and make changes that will be immediately reflected in your local site (assuming you are running in IIS)? Thanks again for your help and explanation.
Sep 4, 2015 at 4:21 PM
These Release files are used when you do a deployment, which means you want to go on prod, so by default it's optimized for the best performance hence disabling the watchers. When you are developing they are enabled by default. Up to you to configure the ones you want on prod.
Sep 4, 2015 at 5:09 PM
I guess what I'm trying to ask is what are the purpose of these watchers? Why do they exist in the first place, and why would I ever turn them on? So far the only thing I know about them is that they slow down the environment they are in. I want my local environment to be fast too. Thanks again.