Orchard without file system permissions

Topics: Administration, Customizing Orchard
Aug 21, 2015 at 10:53 AM
Edited Aug 21, 2015 at 10:58 AM
Hi, I am starting to develop a project in a corporate environment using orchard.
And one of the requirements that I must follow is that the site doesn't have writing permissions to its project directory.

As I got from the docs the orchard app pool must have writing permissions for a number of folders:
/Media - I guess if I don't store any media I don't need a permission to write there?
/Modules and /Themes - again if I don't enable modules and themes on the deployed site, I guess, it doesn't need to write anything there.
/App_Data - now this one stores a whole load of things including some binary dependencies and logs. Is it possible to compile and configure everything on the dev machine and then simply upload the files to the deployment server? Is it possible to reconfigure logging so that the files would be written elsewhere (preferably some sql db)?
Developer
Aug 22, 2015 at 10:12 AM
For /Media and /Modules and /Themes it should be fine, but for App_Data it may be tricky because Orchard creates files like hrestart.txt, cache.dat, mappings.bin and log files. Now log4net can be reconfigured easily and creating the cache.dat and mappings.bin files can be turned off. But I am not sure about hrestart.txt. Orchard also writes tenant state to the Settings.txt file of a tenant, but I think that's done via IStorageProvider, which means you could provide a different implementation. Maybe you could replace the entire IAppDataFolder implementation with your own.

Just for my own curiosity, what's the reason behind the requirement of not allowing the site itself to write to the App_Data folder?
Aug 24, 2015 at 8:02 AM
Thanks for the answer!
It's a requirement of the IT department. They have very limited space on the hosting servers, so they deny writing files just to be sure.