why orchard is so slow?

Topics: Core, Installing Orchard
May 1, 2015 at 8:02 AM
Why orchard is so slow when installed on a unc path? Also why this is the recommended way to handle farm environment?

Do not make any sense
May 1, 2015 at 8:13 AM
You mean you're running Orchard from a shared drive? That will be always slow as all the compilation and everything does a lot of file access. I don't think this is recommended for farms anywhere: rather you should make Media and DB shared (among others).
May 1, 2015 at 8:24 AM
Edited May 1, 2015 at 8:41 AM

Sorry about this. Are you saying that it is not the recommended way?

I was told that the Media folder has to be on the same location as the normal orchard folder, also if the modules we are using got upgraded, to install them cross all servers in the farm, it is best to put the installation on a dfs share.

I learned this from another developer in my company, are you saying this may not be correct?

Many Thanks
May 1, 2015 at 4:01 PM
It's better to replicate the app across the farm and share media and the DB. Putting the app on a share is really not something you'd want to do as pretty much nothing else than media files and search indices from App_Data should be shared from the file system.
May 3, 2015 at 12:06 PM
+1. Putting the whole app on an UNC share is a very bad idea. This can lead to lots of issues, from which performance hit is not the worst one.
It's all mostly because of file monitoring IIS sets up on tons of files. This is required for dynamic Razor compilation (among others) to kick in.

UNC share is ok for files that can get updated by any node and you need to keep those in sync across the farm (indexes, media files, as Zoltan mentioned). Codebase is something each node should have locally. In other words - if something is not going to change during app runtime - stay away from UNC shares.
May 3, 2015 at 3:53 PM

That makes all the senses. When I first touched orchard, it really scared me as it is so different from what I know (e.g. the whole site was on a unc path) and I was told this is what Orchard suppose to be.

Now it makes much more senses and Orchard is indeed a normal application like many others I worked with before.

Many Thanks
May 5, 2015 at 12:20 PM
Yup, Orchard is an ordinary ASP.NET MVC app. Just a "bit" more beefy:)