Best Development setup

Topics: Administration, Customizing Orchard, Installing Orchard, Writing modules, Writing themes
Apr 29, 2015 at 1:10 PM
I'm trying to determine how best to configure my environments with the latest orchard development branch, develop modules and themes for it and deploy to azure.

Ideally I would like to use the 1.9-ext branch cloned locally. My understanding is that I need to compile that in Visual Studio and then open the compiled web site in Web Matrix as that appears best for building themes?

Should I be doing module development within the Orchard solution, or as a stand alone solution?

Deploying to Azure then do I create a new branch with the compiled web site, custom modules and themes to use Git deploy, or just web matrix web deploy with the publish profile?

I've been messing with the best setup for a while and really wanting something where I can develop quickly locally and push updates to azure staging and switch into production after testing and validation. What's the best way to manage the development and production connection strings also? Should I be using Visual Studio Online builds with web deploy?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Matthew