New to Orchard - how would I approach this problem

Topics: Administration, Customizing Orchard, General, Writing modules
Apr 28, 2015 at 1:49 AM
So as the subject says, I'm new to Orchard, but not new to .net or CMSs in general.

I have a restaurant website that has a menu of food items (not navigation!) that is actually managed by their point-of-sale system. The POS allows us to export to an excel file where I can get at the categories and items (entrees) with pricing, etc.. I want to display the menu with images for most of the entrees. I also want to be able to write an app to automatically update the menu when pricing changes, new entrees are added, old ones taken out, etc. The excel spreadsheet has all the information except for the images, which I will manage separately and have to match them.

So I'm presuming I'll be building the tables to hold the categories and entree items through the Admin site (I watched the channel 9 video). Or should I roll up my sleeves and build a module for this?

Hope that is enough information to get some high level advice on getting started.
Developer
Apr 28, 2015 at 9:20 AM
You could certainly define the various content types via the dashboard, including categories (perhaps using taxonomies). You could then map the information to the various Orchard database tables, but since content items are stored across many tables I think you'll find it challenging at a minimum to do so. So yes, I definitely think you should build a module for this.
Apr 29, 2015 at 7:27 PM
Thanks - this is helpful. I figured a module approach might make more sense.