localize taxonomies? is this possible?

Topics: Localization
Apr 12, 2015 at 10:16 PM
Edited Apr 13, 2015 at 10:28 AM
Hello there,
I'm using 1.8.1 and the taxonomy terms to filter for certain categories, the site is multi language. So I made some Terms and in the ContentType defenition added the Localization Part to these terms. In the dashboard I can now make "new translation" for each term. So far so good, however the localized Term then doesn’t show up on the Dashboard screens, and on the localized front end there is still the Term in default language.
So, OK it seems I have to work around by manually making the Terms local: at least make another term for each language.
This has the disadvantage that they are now different Terms, not the same term that's localized. So I have to make as many queries as languages everytime I need to filter for a Term.
To me it sounds that there should be a better way.
Does anybody has suggestions?
Jun 5, 2015 at 6:30 AM
I have the same issue - Is there a way to do this?

As an addition to this, is it possible to restrict the display of a content type using a taxonomy so that when viewing the auto-generated taxonomy term page, only the content created in the current language localisation will display, rather than all content with that taxonomy?

Many thanks!
Jun 5, 2015 at 4:54 PM
Hi Nomadian,

As you can see nobody answered my question.
So I stuck with doing it like this:
  • make a different taxonomy for each language, not a localized taxonomy
  • then add to your (custom-) type of interest both the taxonomies as a field
  • this will give you on the dashboard for this type both taxonomies with terms,
  • if you pick only terms from the taxonomy that belongs to the language you're currently working on
  • you can now filter the type for a specific taxonomy term
In addition to this, your auto-generated taxonomy term pages are automatically in the right language.
Sure making a taxonomy with belonging terms per language is a bit laborious, if you come across a better way to do this please let me know.
Hope this is of any help.
Jun 9, 2015 at 7:39 AM
Maybe this is a solution to your problem https://github.com/urbanit/Orchard-Localization-Extensions
Jun 9, 2015 at 9:24 AM
Thanks a lot! I wasn't aware of the existance of this extension. I will give it a try!
Jun 10, 2015 at 1:33 AM
Looks interesting! Can it work in Orchard 1.8?
Jun 10, 2015 at 4:38 AM
Module.txt sats it is compatible with 1.9 .https://github.com/urbanit/Orchard-Localization-Extensions/blob/master/Module.txt
But maybe you can make a try fixing any incompatibilities you find with 1.8