Living with Orchard...

Topics: General
Feb 20, 2015 at 11:52 AM
We've been building a site using Orchard for 2-3 months now and, as we are approaching the release date, we are starting to consider how we make changes to the site over it's lifetime.

We work in an agile environment, with weekly drops to production - I think we have a reasonable understanding of the mechanisms for promoting changes to functionality and style ( using Modules, migrations and recipes ).

I would love to hear peoples experiences of how they found the process of maintaining an Orchard site in the face of changing business requirements etc.
Feb 20, 2015 at 4:02 PM
Orchard provides the framework for being able to write future-proof and maintainable code, as you mentioned with migrations and recipes for example. What you need on top of that is a) good team work practices (conventions, source control...) and b) a suitable DevOps environment.

What we do at Lombiq regarding a) is mostly codified in the Dojo Library and for the DevOps side we'be built the Hosting Suite. These two allow us to take most of the hassle out of development and maintenance and we can push changes to production within minutes, while users don't even notice anything.
Feb 23, 2015 at 1:54 PM
Hi Piedone, I will take a look at both those links. Thanks again for the answer.

Anyone else with any experience of this ?