Intermitten Blank Screen - app_offline file created

Topics: Customizing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Jan 29, 2015 at 5:34 AM
I've been working on a site for a few months now and finally deployed it using Visual Studio FTP web deployment. A feature of web deployment is that it will plant an app_offline.htm file in the root directory while deployment is happening so that IIS will present users with an explanation why the site is down while the deployment takes place.

Deployment worked, my site is running (nice and fast, by the way), and the villagers are happy.

The problem I'm having is that ever since that deployment, when running a copy of my site on my local machine in Visual Studio using IIS Express, when I navigate to certain pages and the pages compile, Visual Studio keeps dropping an app_offline.htm file in my root folder. It's a completely empty app_offline.htm file, so the site looks like I'm just getting a blank page when really, what's happening is that IIS is just serving the empty app_offline file.

I delete the file, my site works for a few pages (especially if they are cached or previously visited pages), only to create the same app_offline.htm file over and over again.

I'm guessing this isn't an Orchard issue but instead is Visual Studio related, but I don't know where to start in fixing it. Anyone have any idea what's going on and what I need to do to make sure it doesn't happen again?