Empowering local Orchard evangelization: Orchard Ambassadors

Topics: Announcements
Dec 23, 2014 at 8:16 PM
And idea to help enthusiastic community members to locally evangelize Orchard and build their local community:

What do you think?
Dec 24, 2014 at 10:04 PM
I think it's a great idea, it can help attract more people into Orchard community.
Dec 24, 2014 at 11:55 PM
Awesome ideas. :)
Dec 25, 2014 at 2:36 PM
hi piedone. thank you for the initiative.
I am under impression that , the community sites are built based on languages. aren't they ?
We already have some community sites, but I notice some of them are already inactive, such as :

It's easy to build a site, but its hard to build a community.
so, it would be great if the initiators of the established community sites could share their experiences, how they maintain and keep the community alive.

Dec 25, 2014 at 9:43 PM
I agree this sounds like a great idea, I'd participate.
Dec 25, 2014 at 11:11 PM
@arjunatantri "It's easy to build a site, but its hard to build a community." Yes, exactly!

I don't know about others but we from Orchard Hungary would definitely share our experiences - the above document was partially also inspired by them.

Also community sites and local Ambassadors ideally would be connected, but not necessarily. I'd imagine community site owners and Ambassadors supporting each other and there be an intersection between the sets of these two, but not all Ambassadors should be site owners and vice versa.

Abhishek expressed it before and now gabrielpc that they would become Ambassadors. Anybody else?
Dec 26, 2014 at 9:38 AM
I guess I could be a French Ambassador.
Dec 26, 2014 at 12:17 PM
About www.orchardhispano.com we've created a github project to translate the entire Orchard.

But happened few things:
  1. Only Juanma and me were collaborating translating documentation https://github.com/OrchardHispano/OrchardDoc
  2. Me worked alone with the 100% Spanish translation of Orchard CMS (today are 1 or 2 persons fixing some translations, so there are a good news :))
  3. Juanma lost feeling with Orchard CMS and is working with django (because speed and flexibility), he was the owner of the domain and site. He offered me to manage the site and community but I have not energy for this things.
  4. In general the Spanish seems to focus in Ruby, PHP solutions because they hate Microsoft. And normally there is the kind of developers that need CMS. Only big companies are working in .Net and them have handmade solutions
In my opinion develop and maintain a community is very hard task.
Dec 26, 2014 at 2:15 PM
one question, should we translate the whole docs when building a new local site?
Dec 26, 2014 at 5:50 PM
Edited Dec 26, 2014 at 5:50 PM
I can offer myself to be Russian ambassador. This is my Russian resources:
Community site: http://orchardproject.ru
Documentation branch: https://github.com/KindlySoul/OrchardDoc
Google Plus page and community: https://plus.google.com/+OrchardprojectRus, https://plus.google.com/communities/100005140728890176626
Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/orchardrus
Youtube channel with tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/orchardproject

I agree with albertoleonTis that there are many difficulties to attract people in the community. I think to create local community we need to start with the following:
  1. Attract a few enthusiasts to get started.
  2. Create high-quality translation, so that developers can use the system in commercial projects.
  3. Translate documentation. Complete translation requires a lot of resources so for start you can record multiple video describing the basic scenarios.
  4. May be some activity in social networks.
Dec 26, 2014 at 8:32 PM
I would love to be an ambassador for austria, but I will live in the US for the next 5 months. I don't know if it is possible to build an community remotly :).

I will start to get the domain orchardproject.at and I will contribute a lot in the german translation (because in some places - it sucks ;) ). Maybe I can get a ambassador in 5 months when I am back in Austria.

I totally agree with KindlyMan and albertoleon in term of translation for Orchard CMS. It is very important to have a good translation for Orchard CMS itself. Orchard CMS is more complex than for instance WP or something else but also more powerful, but with a bad translation it gets really weird.

I am not sure if there is a need for translate the documentation in orchard (or maybe only the documentation for basic things like create a ContentType, add a blog) but not for technical details. In my opinion every developer should be able to understand that much English to read a documentation.
Dec 27, 2014 at 4:57 AM
hi piedone,
i'm the one from indonesia, mentioned in the meeting note.
yes, there're some restrictions to have .id domain. having a reference letter would help.
however, i'm not sure whether i can manage the domain for the moment.
so i prefer to wait until the time is right. but it's really nice to know that the committee is putting some attention to local community.

Dec 29, 2014 at 5:26 PM
Count on me for Greece, but what are the criteria to be fullfilled?
Dec 29, 2014 at 6:27 PM
About documentation translations: it depends on the specific culture I think. Here in Hungary the vast majority of developers know enough English to understand the documentation. Also everybody getting a college degree is obligated to take a language exam, so basically software engineers just can't get away without knowing a foreign language. Thus I see no point in translating the Orchard documentation or furthermore to write any significant resources in Hungarian (the Hungarian Orchard Hungary website mostly contains some quick tips to get started and blog posts about various news, but tutorials we exclusively publish in English). But: this is Hungary and since we're 10 million people it's completely different than a much bigger country like Russia.

I agree with KindlyMan that localizing Orchard itself is of high importance: having Orchard's UI localized at least for the most used parts is the entry-level criterion for local adopters since otherwise you basically can't give it to end-users. I don't know how we could make this better; I don't see a way, unless we use less UI text :-).

Regarding urbanit's question about what you need to do to qualify as an Ambassador: this is a very early draft but on last week's Community Meeting we talked about having proven community activity and Orchard references would be needed; this is also part of the document.
Jan 1, 2015 at 7:18 PM
So nice to see a thing like this. I have been thinking how I could help and wanted to explore the possibility of introducing Orchard more here in Macedonia.

The ambassador initiative looks very promising. I would be willing to invest time to see how much interest there would be to build a community here.

I should have no problem managing the domain and doing the necessary translations for Macedonian for the time being, though as you said and as others have noted, it should at some point be maintained by the community's members, and not by a single person.

Please feel free to contact me regarding this.
Jan 2, 2015 at 7:17 PM
@albertoleontis I'm less involved than I would like in Orchard. By the moment due to other priorities in my company I only was able to dedicate few weeks along the year in my free time. The point is this year looks Orchard will be one of our priorities (hope it doesn't change) so I think I could have enough dedication to acquire knowledge to be useful for the community. So if I can help you in something ask me and I will be glad to find time to help you to build the Spanish community.