Long running workflows on a low traffic website

Topics: Customizing Orchard, Writing modules
Dec 19, 2014 at 9:29 AM
Hi,

Currently I'm developing a small website where you can make some sort of reservations. It's a little side project where I choose to use Orchard to finally get acquainted with it. So far I’m loving it, although the learning curve is a steep one.

My question has to do with workflows and the timer activity. When setting a value of (for instance) 1 week, will it run if nobody is visiting the site for two weeks? Or will the TimerBackgroundTask also do its work if no one is visiting the site?

I’m running Orchard version 1.8.1 on an Azure Website (Basic pricing tier). Orchard was installed via the Azure Marketplace.

Kind regards,
Jerome
Developer
Dec 19, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Yes, the workflow will execute that activity (from a background task) even if nobody is visiting the website, provided that your IIS application pool is still running of course. Depending on how things are configured, IIS might shutdown your application pool if it is inactive for a certain amount of time. No idea how this is configured on an Azure Website, but that shouldn't be too hard to find out.
Marked as answer by Jwheuvel on 12/21/2014 at 11:48 PM
Dec 19, 2014 at 10:29 AM
Thanks for the quick reply!

I just checked in Azure and if you have long running jobs you need to enable the "Always On" feature (available via "Application settings" in the Azure Portal). Per default it's set to off and (as a warning) the billing will probably go up when you turn it on (if you have a low traffic site like the one I mentioned).