Orchard CMS 1.8.1

Topics: Administration, Customizing Orchard, Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting
Dec 18, 2014 at 7:53 PM
Hi all

First off I am not a developer so please don't go into compile this and that. I installed Orchard 1.8.1 for Web and I am having a few problems, when you look at the module list it says in red orchard.rules is missing, so I did some digging and you have to copy 3 dll's I did that but it still says its missing.

basically all I want to do is run a video clip on the site, I have tried installing various modules and none of them seem to work, can someone point me where I can download a module or widget that will allow me just to run a video.
Dec 23, 2014 at 1:45 AM
Edited Dec 23, 2014 at 2:52 PM
Not the case with the full source code. So, with WebMatrix, I have tried with the Web package, and indeed there is this info "orchard.rules is missing"

Go to the modules folder (where there are all modules), indeed there is no Orchard.Rules subfolder. In fact, this module is deprecated, so nevermind. But there is another module, Orchard.Scripting that is still present and depends on Orchard.Rules. You can see this dependency in the Orchard.Scripting/Module.txt file

I think this doesn't matter, because Orchard.Scripting is disabled by default, so, do not use this module or others downloaded modules that depend on Orchard.Rules... If you don't want to see the red message, you could delete the Orchard.Scripting folder, and, before restart, delete the App_Data/cache.dat file (otherwise the program will fail)

But, there are a few others modules that depend on Orchard.Scripting, so the real issue is the missing Orchard.Rules folder and / or remaining dependencies on this deprecated module. So, I think you can play with the package as it was downloaded

For playing a video, there is no need to download a module, you can use the "out of the box" features. In the Dashboard, go to "Media". Here, you can create a folder (e.g "Videos"). Select this folder, click on the import button. Here, you have different options. For this test I have used "Media Url" where I have put a video url that I have got from youtube...

When downloaded and imported, go to the "Content", edit your page (at least, there is one page already created). Here, you have a Body editor where you can find a button used to insert a media item. Choose your video and click on the "Select" button. After insertion, click on the "Publish Now" button at the bottom of the page. Return to your front end site, you will see your video

Note: If, with the video, you have a big thumbnail image, you can select and delete it before publishing the page(or by re-editing the page)

Dec 29, 2014 at 10:34 PM
Thank you for the reply, I have found a work around, I downloaded the source files and built them with visual studio, I then copied the orchard.rules folder across and restarted the site and hey presto worked like a dream.

For the video, for some silly reason my ISP kept deleting the mime I had put it, so after a discussion with them they haven't deleted it since, so that works just nicely as well.

I have only two parts which are starting to annoy me, firstly, I am using the Contoso theme and all I want to do is added the search function in to the main menu bar and secondly I am trying to find a module that will display a thumbnail image and from that one image run a slideshow, but the modules I have downloaded don't seem to do that, but I will solider on with it.
Dec 29, 2014 at 11:58 PM
Would you mind filing a bug for this, so this can be avoided in future releases?
Dec 30, 2014 at 12:52 AM
Cool for downloading the sources files. For the Search feature, you have to go to the "Modules" page and enable the "Lucene" module (I write at the same time I do it). This will enable also the "Indexing module", finally enable the "Search" module. After, expand the Settings menu on the left pane and select "Indexes", here click on the "Create" button, input the index name (e.g "Search"), click "Create", and, on the right, click "Update" to build the "Search" index. After this, in the Settings menu click on "Search", here select your only one index, select the parts you want to index (e.g body and title) and "Save".

Go to the Widgets Page, click "Add" on the "Navigation" zone, select "Search Form". Update the position field, if you have only a Main Menu in this zone, type "2". The Title field is required, but you can uncheck the option to render it in the front-end. Finally, click "Save".

There are many way, with a little coding, to do image gallery / slider / lightbox. For example, one approach is to use the Orchard.Projections feature that allow you to create a list of a specific content type (you have created with an image field and what you want). Override in your theme the template used to render the shape (with a razor *.cshtml file), and add some jquery plugin to do what you want... There is also the out of the box "List" module, and the "Media Library Picker Field" that you can add to a content type (e.g Page) and that allow you to insert a list of image thumbnails in your page content or other shape...

But, without any coding, indeed you have to find a module that fit your need. Personnally, I rarely use external modules. My advice is to choose a module that have a recent update in the version history.

Dec 30, 2014 at 1:19 AM
@BertrandLeRoy, just see your post, new issue just created
Dec 30, 2014 at 1:45 PM
@jtkech thank you for pointing me in the right direction, I didn't enable the Lucene module, which I didn't realise I had to, but it works just fine. As for the image I will play around with that, I was thinking of having just a thumbnall, which will link to some sort of slide show.

I will also have to look at the layout as I prefer the menu to be below the any banners etc, once again thank you for your help.

@BertrandLeRoy how would I create a bug report, is there something within Orchard that allows you to do this.
Dec 30, 2014 at 6:34 PM
You can file a bug by creating a new issue and describing the steps to reproduce the problem there. Thanks.