orchard search in azure

Topics: Troubleshooting
Nov 18, 2014 at 2:22 PM
I am having some trouble with the newer orchard 1.8 search feature in azure. I've noticed that orchard stores the indexes on each servers' disk, so they get destroyed on each deployment since azure cloud services spin up everything fresh each time. I can live with that but it seems like a pretty big design flaw.

Also, the slightly more important and annoying part, the search indexes seem to disappear every so often with no reason. If I go recreate them then eventually all of the instances will be synced up, but I have no way of knowing that the indexes disappeared unless I go look. My only potential guess is that the indexes may be getting created on a temporary disk that switches out, but that seems like a long shot.

I'm not quite sure where orchard keeps the search information in the DB, but it must be removed from there when it lets me recreate the indexes. When I recreate them, I can only do it on one instance since the record is back in the database. I also have no way to force the other instances to re-sync to the db (short of forcing a reboot), so they will be without indexes for far longer. I haven't found any errors or logs related to these things when I have tried to look.

Any information or suggestions on my problems would be greatly appreciated, and sorry for the bit of randomness and jumping around in it.
Developer
Nov 20, 2014 at 4:44 PM
You can use this module to store search indices in Blob storage instead: https://orchardazureindexing.codeplex.com/
Nov 20, 2014 at 6:10 PM
Thanks for the link, I will definitely give that a try!