Site Versioning

Topics: Customizing Orchard
Oct 31, 2014 at 2:13 AM
Edited Oct 31, 2014 at 2:16 AM
Howdy,

I was wondering if there were any tentative plans for adding a feature to Orchard that would allow versioning of the whole site? (By "versioning the whole site" I'm referring to the ability to edit one or all pages of your site, and simultaneously publish those edits, maybe just for a weekend, such as for Labour Day, and then roll all those changes back to a different "site version" afterwords; maybe you want to do the same for Halloween, Christmas, etc.)

In the past we developed a custom CMS and this was a tremendously popular feature. Glancing through the code, it looks like something similar to localisation might work for implementing this.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Cheers,
DK
Developer
Oct 31, 2014 at 5:33 AM
I'm not sure, but this sounds like something the upcoming Deployment module should be able to handle.
Today you can use the PublishLater and ArchiveLater parts to schedule on a per-content item basis when to publish and when to unpublish.
Nov 1, 2014 at 12:31 AM
@sfskywalker I'm not familiar with the deployment module, but the publish later module (and presumably the archive later module as well) are (as you say) on a per content item basis; unfortunately, they also do not play well with the idea of having "multiple versions" of a page you are editing (though the stack of version records may exist, the UI effectively lets you work with the "live" and the "next" versions only). The idea behind site versions that makes it desirable, is that it groups all the different page edits together into some semantically related whole, and allows you to switch between these versions at will. The feature would probably need to cross-cut content item version records. For it to truly be effective, it would also need to allow changing of things like theme, that only go live when that site version went live. We've looked into adding this to Orchard, but wanted to see where the Orchard project was headed before we decide to fork.

Is the deployment module something like the following? This would definitely help, but still doesn't really let you edit multiple versions of the site simultaneously.

http://gallery.orchardproject.net/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.Wng.Deployment
Developer
Nov 3, 2014 at 12:25 AM
I don't know if it enables your scenario, but did you look at the design notes? If you don't see your scenario there, it might be interesting to make a suggestion.