symbol load on every app start (f5)

Topics: Administration, General
Oct 19, 2014 at 7:42 PM
what am I doing wrong?

after reloading (repair) of my VS express 2013 it got very, very slow!
I realize that on every F5 the symbols get loaded again.
  • In Tools>options>Symbols I set the cache directory without any effect!
  • what is the correct way to load the Orchard .pdb symbols associated with the Modules directory?
I'm sure I'm missing something small / stupid
thanks for your time and help, ed
Oct 20, 2014 at 4:21 PM
Edited Oct 21, 2014 at 12:03 AM

I only start my App with F5 if I want to debug the code, and I think then it should load the symbols. If I only work on the code I start with Control + F5 and only the iisexpress (or whatever webserver you use) starts. After editing my code, orchard takes care about recompiling the changed modules.
Oct 20, 2014 at 6:53 PM
When debugging, you also might want to consider to still launch the site using CTRL + F5, and attach the debugger after the site has warmed up (attach to the iisexpress process when using IIS Express). Warming up with the debugger attached slows things down tremendously.
Oct 20, 2014 at 7:36 PM
Off-Topic: sfmskywalker: How can you type an "Plus"? It's always get replaced in my posts.
Oct 20, 2014 at 10:13 PM
That's weird. I just type in '+' and it sticks.
Oct 21, 2014 at 3:17 PM
thanks to both taking your time

needless to say that I'm not very savvy on IIS.
well, via 'windows feature' I installed IIS because I want to run my machine (for test purposes) as an '''ISP'''!
PS: I assume that I run NOT: 'IIS express'!
  • when starting VS without debugging (ctrl + F5) how would I attach the 'debugging'?
  • I also wonder why with 'Tools>options>Symbols' and giving a cache directory nothing happens!?
    I see that VS load all Module's .PDB files!
  • and again why do I see - after 'repair' of VS - this symbol loading. Before repair: the debugging worked with a fast load for F5!
    I.e. I assume the 'symbols' were loaded only once!?
PSPS: my '+' obviously sticks as well!

thanks for your patience, ed
Oct 21, 2014 at 11:13 PM
edikaufmann wrote:
  • when starting VS without debugging (ctrl + F5) how would I attach the 'debugging'?
In that case, attach to the "w3wp.exe" process.
Oct 22, 2014 at 12:03 AM

It can also be iisexpress, depends on if you have overrided the web server in the project settings
Oct 25, 2014 at 5:50 AM
thanks again for your time and hints.
Based on your advise I can do all I need.
And how to deal with caching the 'Symbols' ( via VS: Tools>options>Symbols) I will figure out over time!

I consider this ticket closed!
PS: I think it's time once more to thank all the core contributors of Orchard for their excellent work, thanks!