SEO module with Focus Keyword and Page Analysis

Topics: General, Writing modules
Oct 18, 2014 at 7:16 AM

My customers ask me for a module for Orchard which provides Focus Keyword and Page Analysis features like the ones provided by Wordpress SEO plugin.

As you can see on the previous link this plugin gets help from Linkdex services to provide advice to the user.

The point is I'm finding this is a key point for several potential new customers. They take the decission of using Wordpress instead of Orchard based on the existence of this pluging. The reason is they get advice of SEO pros who say this is a must feature.

I'm not very familiar with SEO services available for free and in general I don't have deep knowledge of SEO topics. So I feel it could be a bit hard for me to develop an Orchard module that provides similar features. Am I wrong? Or do you think is not so difficult with the help of some extrenal services you know? Don't you think this is a gap with Wordpress which would be interesting to fill on next year roadmap?

Oct 19, 2014 at 10:44 AM
Edited Oct 19, 2014 at 11:20 AM
I answer myself:
After reviewing the code of this Wordpress plugin I can see it is an affordable task, because it doesn't use any external service for checking page, so all the checks it does can be viewed on its admin/class-metabox.php file :)
Oct 20, 2014 at 11:49 AM
SEO is as name implies practice for making website easier to understand by search engines. Every search engine has different practices and these are constantly changing too. Module would be very complex and still always be inferior to official tools provided by search engine providers themselves.

What's wrong with using
Google Webmaster Tools
Bing SEO Analyzer

You can find some goodies there for improving search results appearance (which no other SEO analyzer will suggest). You can also use one bundled with the WebMatrix or find hundreds of others around the web.
Oct 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM
There is nothing wrong with Google Webmaster Tools or Bing SEO Analyzer.

Main advantage of this plugin is it works on edition time. So while the user is writing content he can have feedback. What it checks is not very complete I know but at least it helps average user to don't forget some basic rules that improves SEO (a proper percentage of use of focus keywords, to don't forget to use focus keywords on headings, include an image wiht keywords on its name, ...) . In summary it helps an average user to avoid main mistakes that won't be avoided using nothing. Because regular users don't use Google Webmaster Tools or Bing SEO Analyzer to check the content they have submitted and in fact many are not interested in. They want it easy and at the moment.

In general this is the key of success of Wordpress it doesn't do almost anything perfect under the perspective of technical people, but what for sure it does perfect is give the user just what he thinks he needs in a very quick way.