I would like to open a topic/discussion on creating a Multi-lingual site with Orchard.
I will be honest with you, I'm a .NET developer but I don't have the time (yet) to develop, customize or write orchard modules. Like the majority of user I create custom child themes to change some CSS layout and I use existing modules.
First of all I want to give you a brief history of my 'frustrations'.
When orchard launched I've been using it for some sites.
I've been using several versions, 1.1, 1.3, 1.xxx, 1.8 and now 1.8.1.
Every culture picker module that I've used had problems: throwing exceptions, breaking my navigation or the module just didn't work.
Upgrading Orchard to a new site often broke existing modules etc...
I've seen the problems in almost every orchard version:
- when adding new pages, menu items sometimes disappeared.
- a selected language was reset when navigating to another page
- when switching to another language, menu items sometimes disappeared
- when a menu item has no translation it does not show the default translation (using the same module in different orchard versions shows them, so upgrading a site often breaks the navigation)
- if you forget to add a Localization part to menu items and you've already created your content Pages in every language, the navigation will not update correctly.
- modules work in version x but upgrading to another version, breaks the module, so we can't upgrate the site. (this is the reason why some of my sites are still at version 1.3)
In Belgium we have 3 official languages (Dutch, French and German), but we almost always add also English.
You have to understand that when a culture picker module doesn't work that good while you have to maintain a site in 4 languages, you sometimes get a bit angry.
On the development roadmap there might be some improvements for Multi-lingual sites:
"•Localization improvements (on track, test/feedback needed) •Nick (Jetski5822) is responsible for this feature
•RTL support in Admin
•Culture selector (admin and front end)"
This is the latest module I've used:
What modules do you use to create multi-lingual sites?
Any specific configurations that you use?
I would be happy to hear some of your experience.
I hope this feedback will help and that we will see some improvements.