Azure Websites with Multi-Tenancy

Topics: Customizing Orchard, Installing Orchard
Aug 28, 2014 at 4:06 AM
Edited Aug 28, 2014 at 4:07 AM
I'm confused about how to setup an Orchard environment to use multi-tenancy with at least 2 websites running on Azure Websites. I have created one Orchard CMS instance previously and it works fine but after following the guide here -

I'm not sure how to deploy Orchard properly with the second website URL to the second Azure website. I have created an additional Azure website without installing Orchard, and add this URL to be a new tenant. After going to setup this website it of course loads my initial Azure website page but does not start any setup of Orchard CMS. Does running the setup on my newly created Azure website configure the tenant, or do I actually have to deploy and install Orchard manually to the new azure website first?

Appreciate any advice!
Aug 28, 2014 at 4:31 AM
The idea of multi tenancy is that you only need a single Orchard installation to serve multiple websites. So you only need a single Azure Website. To control which tenant is served based on a domain name for example, make sure both domain names are bound to your Azure Website, and that the Settings.txt files for both the tenants are setup using those domains.
Marked as answer by px403 on 8/28/2014 at 8:55 PM
Aug 29, 2014 at 2:01 AM
Thanks for the information. I was able to use a subdomain like and the setup ran after I added this domain to be a Tenant. I chose to use my existing database and it did populate the tables with the prefix. However when going to my I am getting a 404 on the subdomain root. The admin works and lets me log on but after going to the dashboard I am getting missing file errors like A 'script' named 'jQuery' could not be found.

I'm guessing this has something to do with incorrect settings but I'm not sure what to put into the Settings.txt file. Both of my files are identical except for names of sites and the tenant I checked off all of the previous modules I had installed on the main instance. In the tenant settings I've setup the host as, My settings.txt files are the same except for the entries on the tentant for - RequestUrlHost:
Aug 29, 2014 at 3:55 AM
I got it to work by installing the Core recipe instead of Default, for some reason in the logs of my previous site I was getting errors from copying the existing Themes. When I selected core it installed without any issues, so I will use that to test and install additional modules.

Thanks for the info.