Azure Search module

Topics: Administration, Core, Customizing Orchard, General
Aug 21, 2014 at 11:48 PM
Hi,

I see Microsoft has a service for Search .
Is there any plan to make module for this in place of Lucene?
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2014 at 12:02 AM
Yes, definitely, but there are some technical challenges. To be honest I have known about this for months now and have started working on it.
Some other Microsoft teams are also working on having it working on Orchard, but just the indexing part, not the search right now, so it would be nice to get external help.

The main issues would be that it requires a well-known schema, and the other issue being that collections only handle strings, not integers.

You might also want to estimate the cost of the solution for your needs. It might influence your choice.
Aug 22, 2014 at 12:13 AM
I think just the indexing part would do for my custom application. I don't use search module feature. Yeah I need to look at the pricing.
The problem with the lucene indexing is, it gets wiped out every time there is a deployment. It takes a while to index all the contents.
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2014 at 12:26 AM
You can also try ElasticSearch, I know Nick has been working with it.

FYI, the base line for Azure Search is $250/month I think, and is half price during preview.
Aug 22, 2014 at 2:04 AM
250$/month is certainly a lot. I will explore ElasticSearch option.
Aug 22, 2014 at 9:41 PM
Every Azure subscription gets 3 indexes for free (limited in size and QPS). Here are a few starting points that could help integrate Azure Search in Orchard:
Developer
Sep 23, 2014 at 8:25 PM
We've open-sourced Azure Lucene indexing: https://orchardazureindexing.codeplex.com/