Integrating Google Search Appliance

Topics: Customizing Orchard, Writing modules
Jul 22, 2014 at 9:28 PM
I am in proposal stages of what I hope to be my first major Orchard project and looking for some guidance on the best way to approach this.

The client has a "legal resources" database with over 11,000 documents which they do not necessarily want to move into their CMS database. They are in a variety of formats, mostly PDF files but including other things like Classic ASP pages (yes, I know). Changing the format is not within the scope of the project. They currently have an ASP.NET application (non-MVC) which uses the Google Search Appliance to search these files and return results. My task would be to integrate this ASP.NET application with Orchard such that the search page and results pages appear to be part of the Orchard website. Basically the goal is to apply the Orchard theme around the current application with as little modification to the existing code as possible.

It appears to me that the best approach to this would be to re-develop the existing ASP.NET application into an Orchard module. Am I on the right track?
Jul 23, 2014 at 10:07 AM
Edited Jul 23, 2014 at 6:45 PM
Probably the easiest but most hackish way would be to make a little Orchard module that loads the pages of that app in the background and serves them through themed pages (so its controller would make web requests e.g.). Or even have an iframe :-).

Apart from that yes, the best would be to re-implement it in Orchard.
Jul 23, 2014 at 6:41 PM
Thanks for your reply, Piedone! I'm glad to know I'm at least looking the right way. I don't want to be scraping the pages from the existing application or using an iframe (more moving parts to break) so it looks like I'll be writing a custom module. It seems like it shouldn't be too difficult to re-use most of the code from the existing application in an Orchard module, but if anyone has some simple examples of anything like this, I'd be very appreciative.