Orchard module loading and building

Topics: Administration, Core, Customizing Orchard, General
Jul 15, 2014 at 9:16 AM
Hello All,

I am trying to understand how the module loading, building and caching works in Orchard. We have a complex module (basically a big complex MVC application embedded as a module) that seems to take ages to load the first time. This also happens when the application is left idle for a while (I am assuming this has to do with the Application Pool recycling in IIS).

Beside the obvious solution to remove the Idle Timeout in IIS, are there other approaches I can use to make Orchard (and the IIS running it) a bit more responsive after a restart? It seems that it is rebuilding all the modules, even if they are deployed from the "Precompiled" folder so potentially there is nothing to rebuild.

Thanks you very much.
Jul 17, 2014 at 2:23 PM
Hard to say what's slowing things down. In general, Orchard can take a while to load up from a cold start, at least in my experience. I've personally experienced this problem on shared hosting where app pools get recycled frequently. I don't think modules should be getting recompiled though.

It may be worth installing the Mini Profiler module to dig in and figure out where your bottleneck is: https://orchardprofiler.codeplex.com/
Jul 17, 2014 at 3:40 PM
You can use the warmup pages in Settings->Performance
Jul 17, 2014 at 3:52 PM

This sounds interesting but can the generated "static" page cause problems?
The Module is heavily data driven so I would not like to do updates and get served the previous version...
Jul 22, 2014 at 8:30 AM

In a sense the warmup module seems to be doing its job in keeping the site "alive" (stopping the IIS idle timeout).

The question I have now is how to give warmup a login and password so it can optimize pages that cannot normally be accessed. Any idea?