How to remove a shape from display via IShapeTableProvider?

Topics: Writing modules
Jul 11, 2014 at 5:17 PM
I read somewhere that it is possible to remove a shape from display using IShapeTableProvider. I believe the idea was to send it to a non-existant zone. I'm trying to figure it out but can't see an obvious way to do it via the existing api.
Jul 12, 2014 at 8:19 AM
Let me step back and describe the greater problem. The module allows editing on the front end and uses the Build/UpdateEditor functions (similar to the comments module) to show the dashboard editors on the front end via returning these shapes from a controller. (I cannot use a simple controller/view because anti-spam requires a call to UpdateEditor to trigger the antispam check with the token.)

The content-item being displayed also includes the content item permissions part. That part (all the permissions) are therefore being displayed on the front-end because it is generated by the BuildEditor() function. I've tried to remove that part using however
<Place Parts_ContentPermissions_Edit="-" />
does nothing, although in theory it should (?). I am suspicious that if it does work, it will also remove that part from display in the dashboard where it should be seen. So I am looking for an alternative method to control the display of that shape and see if I can then figure out how to toggle it for frontend/backend display.