Report in WebMatrix with warning messages: - The description is missing

Topics: Customizing Orchard
Jul 3, 2014 at 6:20 PM
Hi, I have finished a website, but before deploying I decided to make a report inside WebMatrix.
I got a warning message, saying: The description is missing and as far i can see, it is for all pages I made and you should have a meta tag added.
At an Microsoft site i have read that this message could not be corrected by WebMatrix, but that Orchard should have an administratieve control panel to do so.
Should I have a Robots.txt file added to the ROOT of Orchard?
I hope that someone can tell me how to correct this, or that it is no problem at all.
thanks in advance for any answer
Jul 4, 2014 at 1:37 PM
Maybe my question is not clear. I was working in Webmatrix and tried to make a report.
  1. message says : description is missing
  2. I could make a robots.txt and inside put: meta name="Contact" content="This is the Contact page"
  3. finish robots.txt and put it inside the root of the site
  4. since orchard is in Integrated mode put in the web.config the following:
  5. <handlers accessPolicy="Script,Read">
  6. After the <clear/> add the following line in web.config
  7. <add name="Robots" path="robots.txt" verb="*" type="System.Web.StatisticFileHandler" preCondition="integratedMode" resourceType="File" requiredAccess="Read"/>
Question 1: I have used module S.H.Robots. How to specify the meta name (specified above) in this file, or how do you get the tekst inside this module working?

Question 2: Is the list above (1-7) the right way to work?

Question 3: The message given by WebMatrix might be not for sites made with Orchard, and so it is no error: Description missing

Hope i am more clear and awaiting answer(s)
Jul 11, 2014 at 10:59 AM
Hi, is noboby able to answer the questions?
Jul 15, 2014 at 8:28 AM
Edited Jul 15, 2014 at 8:29 AM
I'm no expert when it comes to robot.txt, so I am sensing I can learn something from you here - why would you use robots.txt to define a meta tag, if you could just render that meta tag as part of your HTML?
Jul 22, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Edited Jul 22, 2014 at 11:22 AM
Hi Skywalkaer, the problem is simpel. I made a website in v1.8 and used FTP to bring it over to the Provider. It worked completely. So far so good.

Because I also use WebMatrix i was looking to use this. There are also REPOPRTS and since i was curious I did try this and got following errors:
  • description missing - which is: "page markup does not have the <meta name="description"..."
Since this error had to do with for all pages in Orchard, I was wondering whether this was ONLY for Orchard or ONLY for Webmatrix. If this was an Orchard error I also thought that by using robots.txt I could add the descriptions as mentioned in the previous post.
My question: Is this a real Orchard error or has this to do with WebMatrix only?
If this are real Orchard error, should i add the tag in Robots.txt: META NAME= etc ....... ?

The second error was:
  • canonical formats -> I saw that all lines have to do with the module: Mello.ImageGallery which I use.
    Example of 1 of the 14 error lines:
The page contains multiple canonical formats:

Since the website is running in good shape, I do wonder whether these errors could be neglected

thanks for any answer or explanation!!