New shape tracing tools

Topics: Announcements, Core
Jul 2, 2014 at 12:12 PM
Hi All,

I'm looking to re-invent the designer shape tracing tools and would love to hear what you love and hate about them currently. If you're anything like me, you use them a lot when theming and they make theming a lot easier.

I'm looking to re-do them as a chrome dev tool extension (can be ported to FF too) and I've already started on this but before i go too far i would like to incorporate any feedback or requests from the community.

Let me know your thoughts and if you want to contribute (ill stick the code on github).

Cheers

Steve
Developer
Jul 2, 2014 at 6:02 PM
Talk with Shaun Luttin, probably he has something to say as he's working on Orchard dev tools.

Also if you're thinking about improving the core Shape Tracing (what would be great) then I don't think tying it to a specific browser is a good idea.
Jul 4, 2014 at 12:39 PM
Hey Steve,

Something that would be awesome (though not sure if possible) would be to see exactly which part of the placement file is causing a shape to be displayed and alerts for parts that are not being displayed because they are being hidden in the placement. This would definitely help people struggling getting confused by placement files ^_^ Although maybe with the new dynamic layouts, placement wont be such an issue..?

I personally use IE for most of my development work but would not be opposed to switching to Chrome to use your tool, I'd just like to know what benefits there are to doing it as a chrome extensions instead of js solution :)
Jul 6, 2014 at 1:11 PM
Thanks Guys,

@Piedone - I don't intend for it to be a replacement for the current tool - just an alternative. Most modern browsers support dev tools so potentially it can be ported to FF & IE.

@Hazza - thanks for the feedback. There are many benefits to using the dev tools of the browser mainly the core api's that it exposes and the clean, unobtrusive separation of code that gets injected.

cheers

Steve