Should I do regular backups of App_Data and DB on remote SQL Server or just DB?

Topics: Administration, Core, General
Jun 8, 2014 at 5:59 PM
I would like to script in PowerShell some regular backing of the production website with database on the remote SQL Server. The script should run the backup and then send the data to a different server. I would like to be able to go back in time when something bad happens (security breach, huge spam attack…).

Please can you tell me do I have to backup App_Data directory too? If I understand the documentation the content of the App_Data is changed only when I install new module / theme (I know I should not do this in production). I need to know if the App_Data have to be also backed and restored when I need to go back in time. I am often doing changes in the Dashboard - Settings but I suppose this do not do any change in the App_Data…

I am also planning that I will back up all data including App_Data and Media folders but I will not do these backups so frequently.

Thank you.
Jun 9, 2014 at 8:07 AM
In App_Data there is indexing info as well (all indexes are stored there if you have enable index, serarch etc), not only dependencies.
Jun 9, 2014 at 10:58 AM
Thank you for the info. I suppose I do not need to backup the index. But it is good to know that when I will need to go back in time and restore DB I also have to recreate the index after DB restore.