Main-menu (horizontal) connected to Sub-menu (vertical in AsideFirst) possible?.

Topics: Core, Customizing Orchard
May 19, 2014 at 3:04 PM
I did make a simple site:
  1. Build new site with Orchard 1.8.
  2. Added New Page: MG cars
    Permalink : .../mg-cars
    Show it in : Main Menu
    Menu Text : MG cars
  3. In module Navigation I did add a new menu.
    Title : models
  4. In Widgets I did Add a new layer.
    Name : models
    Description : _making the url for this layer rule
    _ Layer rule : url ("~/mg-cars")
  5. Made a Widget sub-menu called models in zone AsideFirst.
    AsideFirst : ADD
    Choose widget : Menu Widget
    Zone : AsideFirst
    Choose : menu widget
    Layer : models
    Title : models
    Check to render..on
    Techn. name : models (for CSS)
    For Menu : models
  6. Made New Page for submenu models
    Title : Sprite
    Body : _Here we give an overview of all models belonging to the MG brand.
    _ Show on menu : on
    Menu choice : models
    Menu text : Sprite _and more text
    _ Publish NOW
  7. Made another New Page for submenu models
    Title : Midget
    Body : Text specification of the model Midget
    Show on menu : on
    Menu choice : models
    Menu text : Midget en more text
    Publish NOW
Then looked at the site.

When clicking in Main menu on "MG cars" you do see a Sub-menu in AsideFirst which is horizontal. It was ment vertical. So to fix this, I did change Site.css under "Aside zones" as follows: If zone 1 is on:
Zone AsideFirst 150px
Zone Content 810px
This works, since the Sub-menu is looking vertical now (I have to remember this for all the menu items and make them long enough to fit as an item but not too long :-) ).

So far, so good.

Clicking in the main menu on MG Cars shows the sub-menu in AsideFirst: "Midget" and also "Sprite" vertical. The text in the body is correct: "Here we give an overview of all models belonging to the MG brand".

Click on "Midget"in the Sub menu and you get a page with the body: "This is the specification page for model MG Midget" (this is also right).

But.... the sub-menu itself has gone and the only way to get it back is to click again on "MG Cars" in the Main menu. This is not realy productive.

__My questions are:
  • Is it possible to keep the sub-menu in the AsideFirst zone when I get the "MG Midget" sub menu page?
  • Are there any plans to have combinations of main menu, first submenu, second sub-menu etc. available and will this be in the Core of Orchard?
  • Is it possible at all to use the Orchard Menu in a horizontal way for the main menu and connected to the vertical submenu?
  • I also tried Advanced Menu (with three stars in the Gallery) but that was not working att all. Is this model also for Orchard 1.8 ? and if yes, where can I find some information on how to set it up in the way I described it above?
Maybe I have overseen other possibilities. Any advice is very welcome !!

Thanks for your answer in advance.
May 20, 2014 at 11:42 PM
Edited May 20, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Is anybody still there?
May 21, 2014 at 10:28 AM
For the first question:

Use the following layer rule: url("~/mg-cars*")

(Notice the wildcard)
Then every page you create (that this must apply to) make the url begin with /mg-cars. So for your Midget page set url as mg-cars/midget.

I am pretty noob myself, as I am learning Orchard since last week, so I have no ideas of the other questions. Not even sure if my answer above is what you are searching for, but I am trying :-)

P.S. The Advanced Menu module is deprecated I think. It is part of the Orchard Core now, so installing the module won't have any effect.
Marked as answer by veryoldtimer on 5/21/2014 at 4:15 AM
May 21, 2014 at 11:15 AM
Hi Sanderg. Thanks a lot for your help. It's working now!!
I did overlook the * during development and that is what happens if your busy and when it's late !!
Your other remarks i was doing also before writing this thread, but i was trying to keep it simple in this little test, so I forgot.
It's good to find out that you should think before you ask for help. But i'm glad i did this.
I do hope your learning path is going fast, since Orchard deserves it.
Bye and thanks again.
May 22, 2014 at 7:48 AM
Glad I could help! I am trying to learn Orchard myself and it is kind of frustrating that the (active) community is a bit small. Usually when working with stuff like MVC4 and other frameworks on StackOverflow someone answers within a few minutes. I hope Orchard will grow a lot in the near future and I hope the community will share their ideas, experiences and knowledge some more. I often try to dig a lot myself, but I am still a student (literally) so just growing into the Information sciences and some stuff is pretty hard to comprehend.
May 25, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Hi Sander, I did have the same feelings when starting to use Orchard, but later on I did find many places where I could learn more.
One of them is
These guys do a lot of things that are very helpfull. Visit their website and look at their video's. At least I found it helpfull.
I do think you are from the Netherlands, so if you want to ask things, you also might do this in Dutch :-)
regards, wim
May 25, 2014 at 6:12 PM
Goed gegokt :-) Dankje wel ik zal er een kijk naar nemen!