Orchard 1.7.2 in git repository

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General
May 14, 2014 at 2:35 PM
How can I clone orchard source so that I point to the 1.7.2 release? Which revision is that in the codeplex repository master branch?

My purpose is to have orchard's repo properly configured (i.e. in a git remote) in our existing solution (based on orchard 1.7.2), so that migrating to 1.8.0 (and further) would simply be a matter of 'git fetch upstream', merging, test & refactor, and commit.
May 15, 2014 at 1:53 PM
Edited May 28, 2014 at 9:14 AM
For those interested:
  • I created a new repo containing the 1.7.2 source code from zip file (official release), commited this version in my local master branch.
  • I added a new remote in my repo: git remote add -t master orchard https://git01.codeplex.com/orchard, and fetched it: git fetch orchard.
  • I created a new branch tracking the remote: git branch --track orchard-master orchard/master
Then I created a script to locate the revision with the least differences compared to my master (I limited the for loop by checking commit dates in history and compared it with the release's date):
for REV in $(git rev-list 5c1b9791926b..5193ba7b0c0c); do 
    git diff --shortstat "$REV" master >> rdiffs.txt; 
    echo "$REV" >> rdiffs.txt; 
The revision with the least differences seems to be 7dff22a47864b794a28ae3f05b939c7ac7b98e93, with 21 files changed, 2503 insertions(+), 11896 deletions(-) (which is also the most downloaded revision in the interval according to codeplex). It seems there are no exact matches in orchard's master branch.

Edit: Well, it was simpler than that. On the orchard 1.7.2 release page, there is a link to the matching changeset in the git repository. It matches the revision I found via the other(complicated) method.
Marked as answer by madmox on 5/28/2014 at 2:15 AM