I need a developer that can built high performance stripped down variant of Orchard

Topics: Core, General, Jobs
May 3, 2014 at 10:25 PM
Need experienced and skilled developer in asp.net/mvc and Orchard with good work ethics and likes challenging development work.

Goal for the cms is to be able to handle approx. 50,000 page-views/hr. I don't know if Orchard can currently handle that.

Here are the main requirements of the project (but I'm open to suggestions):
1) ASP.Net/MVC
2) Fast object mapper close to the performance of ADO.Net + support to directly work with ADO.Net if needed for extra performance. I've looked at some benchmarks and NHibernate seems slow for my requirements. Dapper appears to be close to my needs.
3) Modular, simple, fast, scale-able, and secure.
4) NoSQL compatible table structure. Current system doesn't use JOINs and hence tables are easily portable to NoSQL databases. I want to keep it that way.
5) Efficient and scale-able notification system like Facebook notifications. Don't know Orchard has that, but it is needed for our system.
6) Don't need theme support as long as customization can be done through razor templates. I want to keep server side processing as thin as possible.

Rest might not need changing, and to my understanding won't cause performance bottleneck. Themes and shapes probably will cause performance issues hence I want them out, but I don't really know how Orchard processes them, if they are compiled once then loaded from compiled file then they shouldn't be a problem. Autofac and Castle I'm not sure about but removing Autofac might not be feasible, but I'm not familiar with these technologies so I don't know what is possible to improve the performance.

Development time and costs are also another factor.

I like the architecture of Orchard, hence, I choose it as a web front end for my real time server project. The way it is built is well planned, but I've very high performance requirements.

This is long-term software so work could progress into maintenance long-term, and if it becomes feasible it could become into full time position.

And I'm open to suggestion on how to go about development of this project.

Thanks,
Developer
May 4, 2014 at 12:20 AM
Are you trolling?
May 4, 2014 at 3:40 AM
Edited May 4, 2014 at 4:36 AM
No.

If something is not clear, ask please, I'll try to explain.

But in short, I'm looking for lightweight asp.net/mvc 4 cms. From what I've read Dapper is closest to ADO.net performance.

Our current system doesn't have any joins and can be easily moved to key/values databases.

Modular, hence, easy to extend by modules.

Event bus, threaded/async task support.

Orchard architecture is amazing compared to other cms have seen and licence is permissive. So I'm looking for a developer who is experienced with Orchard and build what I need. It is challenging but will be good project.

This has been done with php open source cms (I mean building performance focused stripped down variant). But I like asp.net/mvc, so I prefer to see it in asp.net/mvc.

I hope that makes more sense.
Developer
May 4, 2014 at 5:42 AM
I've been able to get more than 50k pageviews/hr. without doing any of these things.
It just seems like a strange request when you claim to not know Orchard.
My suggestion for your development is to research what the bottlenecks actually are, not assuming where they will be.
May 4, 2014 at 8:50 AM
Edited May 4, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Thanks for the reply.

That is good to know. Are there any benchmarks for maximum limit? What are the load times under increased load. I searched for performance benchmarks didn't find any specific information, but there were some issues related to performance.

And what is the biggest site that is using Orchard. Is there any Orchard site with about 1 million active unique users in a month?

Well, i can't do comprehensive research on my own at the moment, since I'm occupied with another project. I'm looking for developer who can help.

However, tables would need changing to be non-relational (key/value) database compatible structure.

Regards,
Developer
May 6, 2014 at 11:40 AM
Orchard, at the moment, is very much tied to NHibernate that is an ORM, thus... It's tied to SQL. So unfortunately it seems Orchard is not for you.

A think you have to revisit your requirement of being able to migrate to a non-relational data storage. This is a huge decision and you have to carefully examine your factors. But if I were you I would decide on whether to go with SQL or no-SQL right now, because no matter what framework, CMS or anything else you choose, there will be none where such a switch would be easy enough to keep this question open once you have your system running.

What you probably need is Orchard as a (development) framewok, rather than a CMS. Orchard has tons of goodies apart from being a CMS. Well, in reality it's a CMS on top of a framework (Orchard.Framework) on top of a framework (ASP.NET MVC) on top of a framework (ASP.NET) and on top of an application platform (IIS, but this coupling will probably soon be looser) on top of a framework (.NET). This way you'd get things like dependency injection, shapes and display management, caching all the utilities and helpers and what not. However since the Framework is also tied to NHibernate (while not fully, only the parts that store data in the database of course) you'd be only able to get out that much of it.
Marked as answer by HAY on 5/6/2014 at 9:54 AM
May 6, 2014 at 5:55 PM
Thanks Peidone, that was extremely helpful! That gives me better direction.

Regards,
May 6, 2014 at 5:57 PM
Edited May 6, 2014 at 5:58 PM
I've asked a software development company to start and finish main requirements, although it won't be complete but it will be a start. But anyhow, still looking for a developer (with good experience) who is interested in this kind of project.
May 8, 2014 at 7:49 PM
StanleyGoldman wrote:
Are you trolling?
I was thinking the same!
May 9, 2014 at 7:21 AM
tacx.com can handle ~200k+ requests per hour (depends on how you test it)

Just to state that it is possible with some decent amount of work (and I do plan more optimizations in the near future)