Configurable app based on Orchard

Topics: Customizing Orchard
Apr 30, 2014 at 7:48 PM
I'm in the planning stages of creating a simple application platform based on Orchard. The application will enable users of the CMS to choose a theme and upload a logo to "personalize" the application.

I would like to use the excellent PJS.Bootstrap Orchard theme, which already offers CMS users the ability to switch stylesheets and layouts, and it will be easy to let users upload their own logo through the CMS.

My question is this: How do I set up Orchard so I can create "instances" of the base application? Each instance can have its own domain and database (which contain the user-configurations), but all instances use the same base application.

Unless I am mistaken, multi-tenancy is NOT what I need. Multi-tenancy means multiple orchard installations at one domain. What I need is one Orchard installation operating as the core of multiple instances with separate domains. I am thinking that the solution would involve having a separate database for each "instance", and a separate directory containing collection of routing/config files that draw from the base orchard installation.

Note: the multiple domain feature is not a make-or-break feature. The separate instances can be across domains or on a single domain. For example, [,] or [,] or even [,]. I would prefer the first or second option to the third, but if the third is the only way to do it, I'll take it.

Is there any material out there that can guide me? Has anyone done this, or does anyone know of a project that does this?

Apr 30, 2014 at 11:52 PM
Multi-tenancy is exactly what you need. It's about having a single Orchard application that can serve an arbitrary number of sites that are independent in their content. DotNest is a SaaS in a way you want your app to behave.
May 1, 2014 at 9:01 PM
Thanks Piedone, yes, you're right. I have it successfully set up on Azure to run subdomains and I can create new tenant sites entirely through the CMS with only a little DNS/host configuration to make my custom domains work. Pretty sweet!