Members not users

Topics: Writing modules
Apr 21, 2014 at 10:58 PM
Hello. First of all congratulations to all those who've worked hard to produce Orchard which installed and worked perfectly.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I want to implement a table of registered people but I don't want them to have any user access to my site. The register, can receive email, edit their profile (just name and email) and delete themselves.

I've seen the User, Profile and extended registration modules. I could use them but will they integrate these people in with the CMS site? I'm thinking I need to write a module, like the customer module in the Skywalker webshop example.

A few hints would save me wasting time going down the wrong path. Thanks in advance.
Apr 21, 2014 at 11:32 PM
Personally I create a custom content part named ProfilePart, then a controller with EditProfile/EditProfilePost which will handle the display and edition on the front end. It does not handle username/password as it's already done by Orchard, and there are security implication so I would not suggest to redo it.

So members are still orchard users, but with no roles assigned so they can't even access the dashboard.
Apr 22, 2014 at 6:25 AM
Thank you for that advice, it is very helpful.

In the database I will see a user in the orchard UserPartRecord which will have a 1 to 1 relationship with my 'members' table which will be called something like my_NotOrchard_Profiles_ProfilePartRecord?

I hadn't noticed the UserRoles in my reading so far but that looks just the job because, as you say, I can reuse the inbuilt login functionality. If I can define my own UserRoles I will as that will enable other programs reading the table to select just members.

I need to work out some registration code which I will be suppose will just be the controller EditProfile processing an 'empty profile'.

Once again thanks, the fog is gradually getting clearer. :-)