Lack of keyboard support for submenu creation causing accessibility issues for the blind

Topics: Core
Apr 14, 2014 at 7:11 PM
Hello all,
I'm not much of a coder, but I'm a blind user of Orchard CMS, and I'd like for there to be a way for blind users to create submenus in Orchard without requiring a sighted person due to the requirement of dragging and dropping things. (there are few screen readers that actually support drag/drop in a satisfactory manner.) Perhaps someone could add an option to make a menu a submenu in the add new menu page? Like a check box or something, and then a combobox to select which menu we want it to be a sub of? Like I said, if I were a coder worth a dang, I'd have fixed this already. Thanks for any feedback, and I'm more than open to test whatever solution to this problem is found.
Coordinator
Apr 14, 2014 at 7:54 PM
Thanks for posting this. I think it's great that we have someone finding and posting about these issues. Are there any other accessibility issues that you have noticed? I think it would be a good idea to have accessibility issues handled for the next version, maybe as a feature team.

I would treat each such issue as a bug in fact. If you don't mind, would it be possible to re-post this issue and others you may be aware off on the issue tracker? https://orchard.codeplex.com/WorkItem/Create
Apr 14, 2014 at 11:00 PM

I’ll definitely do that. I’m glad that you guys see these types of issues as bugs, because there are many open source projects that don’t consider accessibility at all, and when it is brought up, often nothing gets done about it. But for now, I can use the sighted members of my crew to assist in the site; after all, a bunch of us are working on this together anyway.