Orchard 1.8 Error

Topics: Administration, General, Installing Orchard
Apr 3, 2014 at 9:11 PM
Hi!

I have just installed Orchard 1.8 and i get the following error message in the administration.

The assembly reference 'Microsoft.Data.Edm, Version=5.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, processorArchitecture=MSIL' could not be loaded for module 'Orchard.Azure.MediaServices'.

There are generally a few ways to solve this issue:
  1. Install any dependent module.
  2. Remove the assembly reference from the project file if it's not needed.
  3. Ensure the assembly reference is present in the 'bin' directory of the module.
  4. Ensure the assembly reference is present in the 'bin' directory of the application.
  5. Specify the strong name of the assembly (name, version, culture, publickey) if the assembly is present in the GAC.
What do i have to do to fix this?
Developer
Apr 3, 2014 at 9:15 PM
Edited Apr 3, 2014 at 9:24 PM
What source did you use to install Orchard 1.8? Full Source Package, Web Package, cloned source, WebMatrix / Azure gallery/ Web Platform Installer?
Developer
Apr 3, 2014 at 9:19 PM
If you're using the source package / cloned version, can you please check the version number of the DLL in 'lib\windowsazure\Microsoft.Data.Edm.dll'? This should be version 5.6.0.61587.
Apr 8, 2014 at 5:23 PM
sfmskywalker wrote:
What source did you use to install Orchard 1.8? Full Source Package, Web Package, cloned source, WebMatrix / Azure gallery/ Web Platform Installer?
This same error is going on with my Orchard 1.7.3 Web Package
Apr 10, 2014 at 2:19 AM
I upgraded a 1.6 site to 1.8, it was originally installed by my hosting provider as a pre-built system, not from source. I grabbed the pre-built install from the orchardproject site today and followed the instructions. I finally got the menus back, but ever since the upgrade, I've been getting this message:

The assembly reference 'Microsoft.Data.Edm, Version=5.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, processorArchitecture=MSIL' could not be loaded for module 'Orchard.Azure.MediaServices'.

It's on my local box, the Azure modules are not enabled.

I tried copying the Microsoft.Data.Edm to my /bin, /App_Data/Dependencies, /Modules/Orchard.Azure.MedaServices/bin - none of that seems to make any difference.

I'm on Windows 8.1 Update 1, I have SQL Server 2012 Developer installed and I'm using IIS to host the site locally.

Here's the entry in the log file:

2014-04-09 19:59:50,380 [65] Orchard.Environment.Extensions.Compilers.DefaultExtensionCompiler - Default - Assembly reference 'Microsoft.Data.Edm, Version=5.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, processorArchitecture=MSIL' for project '/Modules/Orchard.Azure.MediaServices/Orchard.Azure.MediaServices.csproj' cannot be loaded
(null)
2014-04-09 19:59:50,571 [65] Orchard.Environment.DefaultAssemblyLoader - Default - Error loading assembly 'Microsoft.Data.Edm, Version=5.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, processorArchitecture=MSIL'
(null)
System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Data.Edm, Version=5.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
File name: 'Microsoft.Data.Edm, Version=5.6.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly reqAssembly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean forIntrospection)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString)
at Orchard.Environment.DefaultAssemblyLoader.LoadWorker(String shortName, String fullName) in c:\Orchard\src\Orchard\Environment\IAssemblyLoader.cs:line 56
at System.Collections.Concurrent.ConcurrentDictionary2.GetOrAdd(TKey key, Func2 valueFactory)
at Orchard.Environment.DefaultAssemblyLoader.Load(String assemblyName) in c:\Orchard\src\Orchard\Environment\IAssemblyLoader.cs:line 26
Apr 13, 2014 at 6:15 PM
Same issue for a fresh install from Codeplex web package.

I removed MediaServices module, but it's not a solution...
Developer
Apr 14, 2014 at 12:00 AM
I tried copying the Microsoft.Data.Edm to my /bin, /App_Data/Dependencies, /Modules/Orchard.Azure.MedaServices/bin - none of that seems to make any difference.
From where did you copy the file, and what is the product version of the file?
Developer
Apr 14, 2014 at 12:01 AM
As a test, would you mind downloading the full source package and see if you have the same issue? Thanks.
Apr 21, 2014 at 4:09 PM
Full Source Package, WebMatrix (new site from gallery), and web platform installer seems to be ok.

But if you download the "Orchard.Web.1.8.zip" from here and open the site in webmatrix you will get this error in the dashboard. The same occurs if you setup a new site in IIS.

Repro:
  • Download Orchard.Web.1.8.zip.
  • Run through webmatrix or IIS.
  • Go to dashboard. You should see the error.
Apr 23, 2014 at 9:09 PM
Sorry for late reply. I downloaded the full source package and installed. I am re-installing as we speak to see if i get this error again.
Apr 23, 2014 at 9:45 PM
Yes. Same error as previously mentioned.

There are generally a few ways to solve this issue:
  1. Install any dependent module.
  2. Remove the assembly reference from the project file if it's not needed.
  3. Ensure the assembly reference is present in the 'bin' directory of the module.
  4. Ensure the assembly reference is present in the 'bin' directory of the application.
  5. Specify the strong name of the assembly (name, version, culture, publickey) if the assembly is present in the GAC.
Installed the Source Package .ZIP from orchardproject.net.

I dont know, maybe its time to move over to WP...
Apr 24, 2014 at 1:11 PM
Edited Apr 24, 2014 at 1:22 PM
Quick fix:
Download Orchard.Source.1.8.zip and unzip it.
Delete App_Data\Dependencies folder (docs)
Copy \lib\windowsazure\Microsoft.Data.Edm.dll to your \bin folder
Copy \lib\windowsazure\Microsoft.Data.OData.dll to your \bin folder
Copy \lib\windowsazure\System.Spatial.dll to your \bin folder

Worked for me...
I dont know, maybe its time to move over to WP...
Now, that isn't nice comment here Sennerstad. There is always a risk when getting the hottest bits...
Apr 25, 2014 at 9:30 AM
Edited Apr 27, 2014 at 7:06 PM
I opened an issue.
And there is another older related issue here.