Multiple orchard installation on one server

Topics: Administration, Customizing Orchard
Mar 25, 2014 at 4:00 PM
Hi For a project I need to realize 100/200 web site each on for single company I have intention to value orchard CMS system.
For you is possible use a unique server for this ammount of website?

Obvious It depend of dimension , number of concurrent access etc... but in your idea how many website maximum you think I can install in one single server?

thanks
Fabio
Developer
Mar 25, 2014 at 6:23 PM
This sounds like a fit for multi tenancy. With multi tenancy you can run multiple (in terms of content) completely separated Orchard sites from the same application, improving site density and maintainability.

An Orchard site requires roughly 200MB of memory (this depends on being 32 or 64b, installed modules, etc., but this is a conservative base number you can calculate with), then each tenant requires an additional amount of roughly <10MB. So you can calculate with something with this for the initial planning. On top of memory comes CPU, but apart from the initial start-up Orchard is not too heavy on CPU usage (but again, it really depends on what your site and any 3rd party module you added does). Disk I/O is not a real issue apart from the startup, and network I/O entirely depends on the content.

Hope that helps. BTW regarding multi tenancy there were numerous important advances in the near past, including many performance and other fixes in Orchard (in the latest source, 1.x branch) and the release of the Lombiq Hosting Suite.
Mar 26, 2014 at 9:05 AM
Dear Piedone

thank a lot, your explanation is very interesting! Thanks!!!!

Fabio