"Read more" link and page preview on startpage

Topics: General
Mar 18, 2014 at 8:34 AM
Hi there,

I'm evaluating orchard as a possible successor of my current joomla installation. What I've seen looks really cool, so far but I'm missing a really powerful feature:

When I create an page (joomla: article) it is possible to place a short summary on the startpage. This summary consists of the first paragraphs of the page and is followed by a "read more" link, that opens the url of the article.

Is there a way to achieve this with orchard by using widgets? I had a look at the Placeholder widget, but that is not quite the functionality I'd like to use...

Thanks,
Martin
Mar 18, 2014 at 11:07 AM
Hi,

Do you want to show the summary for a single article, or a list of articles, say the last 5? If the latter, you can do this using projections and a projection widget, using Summary display type. You would need to create an alternate (in your theme) to display first few paragraphs instead of first 200 characters. I'm not familiar with the placeholder widget but you might make it work with alternates as well.

You can use the projections with the content Id of the page as the filter to display a single content item in summary, but it seems like an overkill.

Mar 18, 2014 at 6:11 PM
Thanks for that tip with projections. Seems to be the solution for my problem. Maybe projections should be added to the documentation, or did I just miss the right place?