Question about best approaches to manage deployed solution

Topics: Administration, Installing Orchard
Mar 4, 2014 at 11:41 AM
Hey all,

Those who manage the application code that based on Orchard in Cloud Service, i h'd love to learn about best practices to update existing custom modules, add new modules, update resolved bugs and another issues of the development with Orchard CMS.

Regards,
Developer
Mar 8, 2014 at 2:16 AM
I believe you're talking about DotNest :-). Could you ask more specifically?
Mar 8, 2014 at 10:53 AM
Edited Mar 8, 2014 at 10:59 AM
Thanks for response.

I don't talk about SaaS for Orchard, although that also interesting approach.

I h'd like to see how people manage the versions of their system that based on the Ocrhard CMS.

For example:

In development in migration class we have particular FromUpdateX with bug. I fix it with next FromUpdateY, ok?
Now i want to update my deployed system on azure only with Y changes. What do i need in my case? Create special migration class for deployed solution?
or just upload my new DLL of module to Azure environment?
Or another variation?
Developer
Mar 8, 2014 at 12:18 PM
You can affect which migration steps are executed by playing with the migration version (i.e. the number that distinguishes the steps). So if in one migration step (say, step 4, i.e. UpdateFrom4() that returns the int 5) you introduced a bug, deployed this migration and the migration has run, then you noticed the bug and want to fix it then you can roll out an updated migration: add UpdateFrom5() (returning 6) with the fix. Furthermore, to prevent any other deployments from running the faulty migration step you could make UpdateFrom4() do nothing else then return 5.