Regarding admin menu items and restricting access to them according to user permissions.

Topics: Administration, Core, Writing themes
Feb 24, 2014 at 9:36 PM
Regarding admin menu items and restricting them according to permissions. There has been a few posts regarding this Use Case and I have a solution that involves "redirecting" the admin theme to an override admin theme in which i create a menu.cshtml override view. I then filter what admin menu items i want to expose based on the logged in users permissions.

I want to go one step further by not allowing the admin to have to navigate through the "widgets" menu to edit a particular widget's body. In other words, The admin menu item will be "Easter Egg" and when clicked, the admin will go straight into the Easter Egg Widget edit interface, not through the list of widgets and zones when the "widgets" menu item is clicked. I dont want certain admins to see the list of other widgets or be able to access them for editing.
Is this possible?
Developer
Feb 24, 2014 at 10:04 PM
All admin menu items should have access control applied with certain permissions (take a look at their implementations, mostly in AdminMenu classes). So you should be able to use those permissions to restrict some of the items for certain user groups instead of using template overrides (that would only cause the menu item not to show but you could still view the page under it if you knew the URL).

Regarding your second paragraph, you can also do this with an admin menu provider from a module, see sample: https://orchardtrainingdemo.codeplex.com/SourceControl/latest#AdminMenu.cs

BTW do you know your family name seems Hungarian? :-)