Proper way to resize AsideFirst and AsideSecond using PJS.Bootstrap theme

Topics: General, Writing themes
Feb 24, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Edited Feb 24, 2014 at 4:36 PM
I am using the PJS.Bootstrap theme and the 1.x branch. The methods that I have used for resizing these zones for HTML widgets from col-md-3 to col-md-2, have yielded poor results. I had just adjusted the with in the layout.cshtml file. However when I do this the content zone remains at col-md-6 I would like to reallocate the content t zone to col-md-8.

How should I do it?

Thanks for any help
Feb 26, 2014 at 11:05 PM
You have to change the values in this file

\Themes\PJS.Bootstrap\Helpers\ThemeHelper.cs
Feb 27, 2014 at 2:22 PM
Thank You. This works on my development machine but not on the deployed version. I'm trying to figure out why. Any ideas?

Thank again
Feb 27, 2014 at 2:36 PM
I got it !

At first I changed the ThemeHelper.cs file on the development machine and re-published. Then I tried to update the file on the server manually. At first that did not work, but after I republished again that apparently forced to the server to recompile and now it works. Not sure if all that is appropriate or even if I correctly understand what happened but it works.

Thank You!
Feb 27, 2014 at 3:54 PM
When you publish you can also choose to precompile. If you do that, in the production server you won´t even see the ThemeHelper.cs because it is compiled into PJS.Bootstrap.dll. I allways do this, i believe its more performant and the solution deployed is more clean.
Feb 27, 2014 at 4:29 PM
If I were to precompile and re-publish now would that mess anything up? Its been quite a struggle to get this far I'd like to err on the side of caution.

Thanks
Feb 27, 2014 at 4:44 PM
Well, that depends on how you have set up your development workflow.
What i usually do when i´m trying things out is to deploy the solution to a staging environment, that can be:
  • on the hoster where the site is hosted by creating a subdomain;
  • deploy to iis on a local machine
  • deploy to a folder and test on webmatrix.
My prefered method is the first.
If you are using sql compact as database don´t forget to copy it, and also the files in the media folder.
If you want to understand and be productive with orchard you shouldn´t be afraid of messing it up, as long as you have the precaution of backing up what you have in production and also setting the testing environments to try new stuff.

Hope it helps.