Is migration to 1.8 working now and what are last recommendations

Topics: Core, Customizing Orchard
Feb 15, 2014 at 1:29 PM
Hi,

As my site is a little complicated I am a little afraid migrating it to 1.8 and would appreciate some feedback from people having already migrated.
In the questions I have in mind.

1) Should I migrate all my records to new xml format or could I only take the new Orchard Kernel ?
2) including testing how long it could take to migrate 50 'basic' Parts, ie totally respecting base API ?

I am afraid that I will have to stay a long time on 1.7.x, may be never migrating on 1.8.
So my question could be is it a definitive decision to stop the support of actual data storage after 1.7.3 ?
Developer
Feb 16, 2014 at 9:46 PM
Hi Chris, you can migrate your parts to using the Infoset storage, but it isn't a requirement when upgrading to 1.8. Where you can, you should though, because the more you store in a single record, the less joins and queries. But you could easily do it one at a time. Or not ever.
If you have 50 parts with simple primitive typed properties, it should take you no longer than half a day to a day.
Just make sure you don't get rid of your record classes if you need to perform queries based on those properties (still shift them, but keep the record and properties used for quering).

See you soon on 1.8. :)
Feb 16, 2014 at 10:31 PM
I plan this in 10 days. Thanks Sipke.
Feb 17, 2014 at 8:31 AM
I have done this by setting up a new database and using the export/import module to migrate the data. The only thing that doesn't quite work is that Lucene.net doesn't pick up the fields defined in my own module (using OnIndexing) when rebuilding the index. I'm using the 1.x branch btw.
Feb 17, 2014 at 12:16 PM
Edited Mar 6, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Could I ask why you have not tried an in place migration ?
Mar 5, 2014 at 9:51 AM
Eh, setting up a new content database isn't an in place migration.
Mar 6, 2014 at 8:31 PM
I don't understand ?