Create front-end from scratch

Topics: Customizing Orchard, General, Writing themes
Jan 30, 2014 at 9:33 AM
Hi,

Is it possible to create a font-end totally from scratch, not using any existing themes?
Or should I create my own theme?

If this is possible, are there any sample projects around that I can take a look at?

/Christian
Developer
Jan 30, 2014 at 11:29 AM
What specifically do you mean by frontend? The Layout module may help you but generally theming (at least at the site level) should be done from themes.
Jan 30, 2014 at 12:00 PM
I mean, I want to create a default.aspx page with my own code displaying items of some type from the orchard cms in the way I want.
Through asp.net code. Not from the admin ui of orchard.
Developer
Jan 30, 2014 at 12:09 PM
That's not something supported at all, no. But you can always try find ways around. However I have no idea why you would like to theme Orchard from a completely independent aspx page.
Jan 30, 2014 at 12:24 PM
Ok, well I may not need an entire different default.aspx page.
But I've previously used Wordpress with clients and used some theme but the theme hasn't been exactly how I or the client want it to be.
So I always have to customize the theme pages and classes heavily.

I just want the option to do some serious customization, my own layout and easily add own classes for layout.
Developer
Jan 30, 2014 at 12:28 PM
Edited Jan 30, 2014 at 12:30 PM
That's exactly you can do from Orchard themes. Orchard gives you complete control over the markup and you have the ability to override every piece of the layout in a fine-grained manner. Take a look at the docs, its well explained there or watch some videos.

Also although Orchard uses Razor templates by default you can also use aspx ones. However Razor is a much more streamlined syntax so I encourage you to use that (if you don't know it with a knowledge of C# it takes about 30 seconds to start with it :-)).

If you know Wordpress development, Orchard development is pretty much nothing like it. I don't mean this in any degrading way but you have to think with an open mind.
Marked as answer by cafebici on 1/30/2014 at 4:31 AM
Jan 30, 2014 at 12:31 PM
That sounds really promising!

(I'm not from the Wordpress/php community from the beginning, so if it nothing like wordpress, I will be glad)

I will check out the videos and docs.

Thanks for the help!