Can't activate Lucene Indexing module even if it says its enabled.

Topics: Core, Customizing Orchard, Installing Orchard
Jan 24, 2014 at 5:28 PM
Edited Jan 24, 2014 at 6:08 PM
I was fiddling about with activating search on one of my Orchard sites. But for some reason the Index settings wouldn't save properly so I thought that maybe reinstalling the Lucene module would help.

But after spending 2-3 hours now trying various things I can't for the life of me get it to reactivate.
According to the module list in the admin panel the Lucene module is enabled, plus the regular indexing and search modules, but orchards admin panel still says that I need to enable an indexing service module like Lucene.

Some of the things I've are:
1) Clean install of Lucene from downloaded source.
2) Install from Gallery within admin panel.
3) Deleting and re-adding Lucene in visual studio.
4) Disabled and re-enabled all the search modules and Lucene in the admin panel several times.
5) Restarting of local server several times.
6) Various combinations of the above.

I´m using Orchard 1.7.2.

Anyone have any ideas how to solve this? Scrapping the site and starting a new isn't really a viable option as the database at this point contains a fair share of data and custom object types etc.
Developer
Jan 24, 2014 at 6:40 PM
Orchard basically can enable a module (and show it as enabled) if there's a Module.txt in its folder. This doesn't guarantee that the module's assembly is actually loaded properly.

Did you check the logs?

Also, you could start over as a last resort, just copy over App_Data/Sites (if your DB is SQL CE, thus stored there) and Media.
Marked as answer by StyrmirCPX on 1/24/2014 at 5:20 PM
Jan 25, 2014 at 1:20 AM
Thank you for the reply Piedone!

That clears things up about the activation process, before I had assumed it wouldn't enable unless everything was alright.

I had a look at the log files, must admit I forgot about them as I'm new to using a CMS but rather more used to stepping through code or resolving errors within visual studio. In any case, they indicated that the Lucene module wouldn't compile which does explain why it wouldn't activate properly.

I had a little look at trying to resolve the compilation issue but in the end decided against spending to much time on it and went for the second option of setting up a new site and moving things over.
It wasn't as bad as I had figured, just set up a new Orchard site with a new database, then redirected to the IIS host server where the original database ran after the original setup was completed. Copied over the media files, scripts, custom modules etc., et voila I just about have things working fully again. And the search and indexing is working now.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Developer
Jan 25, 2014 at 7:33 PM
Great then!