Azure deployed Cloud Service fails to display Installed Themes

Topics: Troubleshooting
Jan 3, 2014 at 6:43 PM
Hello all, I recently deployed Orchard CMS 1.7.2 to as an Azure Cloud Service. I tried the 2 different ways of installing a theme, I and receive the following messages:

Successfully backed up local package to local folder "E:\sitesroot\0\Themes_Backup\Dark.2"

Successfully un-installed local package Dark

Successfully added 'Orchard.Theme.Dark' to E:\sitesroot\0\

The theme has been successfully installed. It can be enabled in the "Themes" page accessible from the menu.

When I go to Installed themes, the only theme that is available is the Current Theme (Theme Machine).
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this?
Jan 3, 2014 at 9:56 PM
Are you running multiple instances? If so your installation will happen on one node only.

Installing modules and themes into an already deployed cloud service is a bad idea to begin with, because the Azure fabric controller can decide to reimage your instances at any moment, and then any modules and themes you may have installed post-deployment will vanish.

What you should do is add these to the source code offline and have them included in the publishing process.
Jan 4, 2014 at 2:15 PM
Thank you for the response. This makes sense. To add them to the source code, I'm seeing they download as Nuget packages. To add these packages to the to the source, do I add them to the Orchard.Themes project and re-deploy? Thanks again for your help!
Jan 4, 2014 at 4:10 PM
Change the Nuget package extension from .nupkg to .zip

Unzip the file and go into the folder Content/Themes

Copy the theme folder into Orchard's Themes folder /src/Orchard.Web/Themes

You no longer need the nuget package, deploy and the theme is available.
Marked as answer by vdavi on 1/5/2014 at 12:32 PM
Jan 5, 2014 at 7:32 PM
Thank you!!! This works. Unfortunately, the Bootstrap theme is throwing a runtime error, so I'm posting those details on github.
Jan 17, 2014 at 8:19 PM
I have the theme in the Orchard code folder as per the response from grapto above, but the theme's alternates still are not picked up.

The theme is visible in the Themes menu and I have tried to Enable and SetAsCurrent, but I'm not seeing the Theme folder even being referenced using Process Monitor. Is a complete database recreate needed?