Disabling dynamic module compliation

Topics: General, Installing Orchard
Jan 2, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I have recently started working on Orchard, I got the source code for the project and when I run locally the dll's for each module are getting compiled into their respective bin folder. However, the same code is also setup on production server and that does not have the bin folder, I need to make changes to code but copying the source files (controllers) isn't picking up the code changes. How do I disable dynamic compiling? I tried renaming the sample.hostcomponent to hostcomponent and removed the buildprovider from web.config but it is not doing anything. Also in product the App_Data/dependencies folder has dependencies.xml and dependencies.compiled.xml instead of the dll files.

Please help
Jan 3, 2014 at 6:11 AM
Jan 3, 2014 at 1:52 PM
Thanks for the reply, I reviewed this and made changes but I am not able to figure out what triggers the recompile. I restarted the worker process, and tried a few things and it didn't do anything I checked again after a few hours and the changes were re-compiled so not sure what triggers it. I thought there was a file watcher that detected any changes in the source files but that does not seem to be working reliably
Jan 4, 2014 at 7:59 AM
It does work reliably, unless you've found a bug. The article explains what config file to use to change how compilation behaves. But the easiest way to not have dynamic compilation is to build Precompiled and deploy the results. It's not quite clear what you are trying to do. If you want to deploy new changes to a deployed site compiled with the Precompiled option, you need to rebuild that module, deploy the new dll to its bin folder, and touch the root web.config to force the site to restart.