Issues in Search, Indexes, Lucene in Orchard CMS

Topics: Administration, Core, Customizing Orchard, General, Installing Orchard, Troubleshooting, Writing modules, Writing themes
Dec 4, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Edited Dec 4, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Hi,

I am using Orchard v.1.7.1.0... i have a website with Terra theme... it have a search button i have installed all the three subjected modules for searching purposes... as per tutorials i have done all as it says for searching the content and titles... The problem comes when i follow the tutorial for search and indexing... it says to check the content which you want to search from the SEARCH tab under SETTING tab in the dashboard (Admin Panel)... but there is no list to check from...

It also says "You need to enable an index implementation module like Lucene." on every page of the admin panel... although i have installed and enabled all the subject modules

why is that so... and how can i resolve this issue... as i need to make something from the search button...

thanks in advance for help
Developer
Dec 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM
So you enable the Lucene feature, right? Does it also show as being enabled under Features?
Dec 5, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Edited Dec 5, 2013 at 2:30 PM
No features does not show anything with the name of Lucence.... but i enabled it from the module tab... as i did the same with the search and indexing module

It also says "You need to enable an index implementation module like Lucene." on every page of the admin panel... although i have installed and enabled all the subject modules
Developer
Dec 5, 2013 at 2:43 PM
OK, so you did enabled Lucene from under Features but now it's not even listed there? Do you seen any exceptions in the logs?
Dec 5, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Edited Dec 5, 2013 at 5:08 PM
I have checked and yes there were exceptions in the App_Data/Logs and there are many Orchard-error.log files

I have also checked for the for the Search.settings.xml file but its not in the following directory...

App_data\Sites\Default\Search.settings.xml

More Over when i click on the Search Index tab it says "There is no search index to manage for this site." :(
Developer
Dec 5, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Since I'm still not sure I understand your issue fully from what you've written please reply with yes/no to these questions for verification:
  1. Is Lucene listed under Modules/Features?
  2. If yes, is Lucene enabled there?
Dec 5, 2013 at 5:49 PM
  1. yes (Listed)
  2. yes (Enabled)
Developer
Dec 5, 2013 at 6:06 PM
OK, this is then quite strange because it means that somehow the Lucene index provider is not picked up by dependency injection.
  1. Do you see this locally or on a deployed website?
  2. Do you run the website from WebMatrix or VS?
  3. If from VS, then do you use the original Orchard.sln?
Dec 5, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Edited Dec 5, 2013 at 6:21 PM
its on live server

but for trial development (LocalHost) i used WebMatrix for that purpose
Developer
Dec 5, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Edited Dec 5, 2013 at 6:26 PM
It can be incomplete deployment then. I have the following ideas:
  • If you deployed the site with the Lucene module already installed then it can be incomplete deployment and I'd try to re-deploy.
  • If you deployed the site without Lucene and then you installed Lucene on the live site then what you could see is that module (by design and by default) changes aren't picked up. For performance reasons when deployed you can't install new modules on Orchard unless you modify some settings. If you installed Lucene on the live site then try to install it locally and re-deploy.
Dec 5, 2013 at 8:25 PM
i disable Lucene module the site crashed(it redirects to orchard Get started page, which i did when i started to build this site)
Dec 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM
I had this problem. The list of content types to index in Setting/ index showed up after I enabled the search/index modules then went into the Page content type and checked that it should be indexed.