Migrating to Azure

Topics: Administration
Nov 22, 2013 at 3:17 AM
Is there any guidance on migrating an existing Orchard instance to Azure Web Roles? Specifically, I'm looking for guidance on how to migrate things like Media libraries to Azure Storage for a multi-instance deployment.
Developer
Nov 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM
I can't help on that because I don't deal with Azure Cloud Services but is there any special requirement why you want to use web roles instead of AWS or VMs?
Nov 22, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Edited Nov 22, 2013 at 2:36 PM
The main interesting thing we see is the ability to scale up and down instance count without a bunch of investment in per-VM automation or manual configuration steps on each instance. It's practically a slider; plus, it's pretty straightforward to configure auto-scale based on performance metrics.

We could automate the VM stand-up process, of course, but if we're going to write a bunch of code, we'd rather write a bunch of code to convert an existing instance to an infrastructure target that uses someone elses deployment and run-state servicing automation (Azure) as opposed to our own; the conversion process would be basically a one-off, meaning its lifetime costs would be a lot lower.

As for AWS, I know jack about AWS and I'm by no means an Azure snob. Would love to see any guidance you might know about re: converting to a similar infrastructure as Web Roles on the AWS stack.
Developer
Nov 22, 2013 at 3:02 PM
I see. Sorry with AWS I meant Azure Websites :-). AFAIK they also have autoscaling and simplified deployment features but on contrary to web roles you wouldn't be developing on a new platform but on standard ASP.NET.