Placing Fields

Topics: General
Oct 30, 2013 at 8:30 AM
To set the scene, I am a one day old Orchard newbie. My initial experiences are very positive and I have found the documentation and videos very helpful, but...

There is one aspect (so far) that I can't seem to address or find reference to. Here is the scenario:

I am using 'The Theme Machine' theme and I want all of my pages to define, let's say, two blocks of HTML content; one in the Content region (the body HTML) and one in say the AsideFirst Region.

I have added a new Text field to my Page's Content Definition and set its flavour to Html. Sure enough, when I edit/create a page I get two HTML editors, but I can't figure out how I can move the new HTML field into a different region (AsideFirst) of the theme. I tried Edit Placement in the Page's Content Definition, but this only seems to allow me re-order the fields, not relocate them.

I have been able to emulate what I want to do by creating a Widget and assigning it to the default layer, but then I seem to get the same text on every page, when what I want to be able to do is have page specific bespoke AsideFirst HTML mark-up on each page.

I'm guessing that I am missing something or using the wrong technique, but I've run out of ideas.

Apologies if this is a dumb question.
Oct 30, 2013 at 2:17 PM
I haven't tried myself, but this might work:

<Place Fields_Common_Text-YourFieldName="/AsideFirst:1"/>

Note the forward slash before the theme zone (or global zone) name.

Marked as answer by Neilski on 10/31/2013 at 9:38 AM
Oct 31, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Hi Kassobasi,

That worked perfectly and I learnt two things:
  1. You can reference a Content Definition field by appending the field name, and...
  2. That you can put content into theme zones by working the Placement Info file.
That has opened up a world of possibilities - thank you for your help.
Oct 31, 2013 at 7:38 PM
Glad it worked for you.