Creating User Roles That Allow Previewing

Topics: Administration, General
Oct 21, 2013 at 11:01 PM
In my organization, we have three user levels, each with varying levels of permissions.

"A", the group with the least permissions, is charged with developing content for the pages that concern their work function.

"B", a middle group, us charged with previewing and approving or denying the changes made by group "A."

"C", the administrators, are charged with publishing updates/changes approved by "B."

My problem is that I have not been able to identify a role for groups "A" and "B" that permit them to preview changes made in Orchard WITHOUT also giving them publishing rights.

Appreciate any insight. Thanks!
Feb 13, 2014 at 10:05 AM
Edited Feb 13, 2014 at 10:07 AM
To give some input:

I'd suggest group A gets its own new role with the "Edit own content" permission from the "Contents" feature and owns the content items it develops.

For group B, you'll have to define a new role, as well, and write your own controller that will allow you to see non-published content on the public site. Once they approve it, they might e.g. change ownership to themselves so that Group A can no longer edit them. You could also track the status of a content item using a custom content part.

Group C will have publish rights for all content.

The Workflow module from 1.7 might help you as well, although I guess you'll still have to write some code for group B. But you can cleanly implement this kind of workflow with the features available there.