Version Management of Orchard Content

Topics: Customizing Orchard
Oct 17, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Orchard 1.7 Misc Features discussed adding some level of Version Management into Orchard. There is also the Version Manager module, but it is quite out of date and has a few Security bugs in it.

I have several updates to the module, but I don't want to spend the time forking the source repo if it is no longer maintained and a pull request is not ever going to make it in to the source / Gallery module. I've tried to get in touch with @rpaquay, but no success.

Has there been any progress on integrating something like into Core? I'd be happy to get started on something like this. Would this be better left as a stand-alone module? Does anyone have any way to get in touch with @rpaquay? Should I just fork it and publish my own version in the Gallery?

This is a great module / feature. I'd hate for it to die on the vine.
Oct 26, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Renaud left us for Google, he won't answer. You're more than welcome to adopt the module, and make it your own.
Oct 28, 2013 at 7:00 PM
I also have a design for an Audit Trail module which could include this feature. Still looking for someone to take ownership or will have to do it by myself.
Oct 28, 2013 at 7:07 PM
I can take on Version Manager, getting the code forked into a new repo and a new module pushed to the gallery. Unless this is just something that should go into Core, in which case I can do it all on a Pull Request. But that's more up to you all.

Either way, I was planning on forking the IrooVersionManager code.
Nov 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Edited Nov 29, 2013 at 12:22 PM
@jay - did you ever stick this in a new repo? if so, please can you give me a link? (There are 3 forks, but none of them have your name against them).

This certainly seems like a feature that every business would want, and if it was further developed/maintained I could see it becoming part of the core modules.

I have to fulfill this requirement now, so I guess I will use the Iroo version and modify it for our needs.
Nov 29, 2013 at 2:08 PM
Edited Nov 29, 2013 at 2:23 PM
I also noticed this in the Orchard Gallery: Rijkshuisstijl.VersionManager (and the github source has been updated in the last month).
Oct 15, 2014 at 2:23 PM
For anyone that stumbles across this thread (or is still monitoring it), I have fully forked the Repository and begun work on updating it and adding new features.
The v1.0 release is in the Gallery and updates the module for Orchard 1.8 compatibility. It also fixes several issues within the Module, including Security vulnerabilities.

On the Orchard Gallery:

Source Code:
Oct 15, 2014 at 5:52 PM
The audit trail module is in 1.x. How is your module different?
Dec 9, 2014 at 3:07 PM
I haven't checked out the Audit Trail module. Araan.VersionManager is virtually identical to the abandoned Iroo.Version module from Orchard v1.4, with many bug fixes surrounding security and Orchard vCurrent compatibility. It's intended to be an update for systems that are using the old Iroo module.