Adding Fields and Setting up default values (Orchard Queries on the side)

Topics: Customizing Orchard, Writing modules
Oct 3, 2013 at 12:13 AM
Edited Oct 3, 2013 at 12:14 AM
crosspost: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19148284/adding-orchard-fields-and-setting-up-default-values-orchard-queries-on-the-side

I'm using Orchard CMS 1.6.1

I added a new field to the hidden part of a Content Type via migrations:
    ContentDefinitionManager.AlterPartDefinition("EventItem", builder => builder
                    .WithField("HiddenEvent", cfg => cfg
                        .OfType("BooleanField")
                        .WithDisplayName("Set as a Hidden Event")
                        .WithSetting("BooleanFieldSettings.Hint","Check to hide this Event from all default views (calendar, list, map, etc.)")));
My biggest question is whether it would be possible to set a default value for all existing Content Items. I tried this, but it doesn't seem to work:
    var publishedEventItems = _contentManager.Query().ForType("EventItem").ForVersion(VersionOptions.Published).List();

if (publishedEventItems != null)
                {
                    foreach (var eventItem in publishedEventItems)
                    {
                        _eventDataService.SetFieldValue<bool>(eventItem, "HiddenEvent", false);

_contentManager.Publish(eventItem);
                        _contentManager.Flush();
                    }
                }
I need to do this because I will be updating queries, functions, etc to take the new field as a filter/flag. Having the field as undefined is going to cause some problems.

Which actually leads me to a couple of other questions regarding Orchard Queries:

1.) What is the best way to fetch/get/retrieve an existing Orchard Query? I used the titlepart to get the ID but I'm not sure if that is best.
2.) Is it possible to use NOT conditionals for values in a Query FilterRecord? To explain further, I want this because a boolean field has 3 values: undefined, true or false. If I set the filter to finding items which are false, it abandons items which have undefined values. But if I set it to NOT true, I will get items which are both undefined and false.

Here is my code (doesn't seem to work as well):
    var upcomingEventQueryRecord = _titleRepository.Fetch(t => t.Title == "Upcoming Events").FirstOrDefault().ContentItemRecord;

if (upcomingEventQueryRecord != null && upcomingEventQueryRecord.ContentType.Name == "Query")
                {
                    var filterHiddenRecord = new FilterRecord
                    {
                        Category = "EventItemContentFields",
                        Type = "EventItem.HiddenEvent",
                        Description = "Event not Hidden",
                        Position = 2,
                        State = "<Form><Description>Event not Hidden</Description><Value>No</Value></Form>"
                    };

var upcomingEventsQuery = _contentManager.Get(upcomingEventQueryRecord.Id);
                    var filterGroup = upcomingEventsQuery.As<QueryPart>().FilterGroups.FirstOrDefault();
                    filterGroup.Filters.Add(filterHiddenRecord);

_contentManager.Publish(upcomingEventsQuery);
                }
Any piece of advise or information would be highly appreciated. Thanks!
Coordinator
Oct 5, 2013 at 12:29 AM
You can query from code using ContentManager. Don't use repositories, there are rarely good reasons to.